Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bad water pump not leaking too bad as of now but local stealership wants 800 to do the pump and thermostat? What is all invved with changing them out could I do it myself being quit a bit of a newb though I could enlist the help of one of my mechanic buddies if need be? Any help or advice would be appreciated thanks!

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Do it yourself and enlist help if needed. That is how you become self sufficient. It isn't hard to do, just pay attention to where things go so you can put it back together correctly.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I def want to start learning this stuff. That's part of the reason I bought an older truck. Is there anything I should read or look at before I go start taking things off? Anything I should do/watch out for while I'm there? I hate being such a newb.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Check out the library section on this forum and you will gain a wealth of knowledge in no time flat. There are even a few articles on this forum about doing the water pump. Use the search function to your advantage.

·
PMS medication required
455 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Ya definatly do it yourself... Do yourself a favour since you have to drain the rad anyway pull it out its only 4 bolts and makes things much faster... i can have everything pulled and reinstalled and running in about a 1 1/2 hours... Pull your fan off first before you remove the belts makes it much easier. Next time i have to do mine im leaving the fan off and going electric...

·
oil burner
1,136 Posts
should only cost you 2-300 for t-stat pump and coolant.do it youself or find someone to do it for like 100 bucks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey thanks for all the replies I can get a new pump from checker for 150 haven't priced the t-stat yet the coolant I've seen all kinds of suggestions on here for the coolant but not really clear on what brand to use or the sca additive. I think I may have to wait till next week to do it truck just leaks a tiny bit so far I haven't needed to add any coolant. Is it gonna be alright to drive everyday as long as my coolant levels are good? Is a fan clutch wrench the only specialty tool I'll need? Thanks for all the help guys.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
My luck wouldn't allow me the extra time on a water pump. If it was dripping on me and I decided to wait a week, the damn thing would flow like niagra falls as soon as I got far enough from the house to make it back.

i think there is a fan clutch wrench trick where you use an impact hammer instead, not sure if you really need the wrench or not, but I think you can get them as loaner tools from most parts stores that loan tools.

·
Registered
817 Posts
My last one that had a little leak DID turn into a gusher within a couple of days. Don't cheap out on the water pump, unless you want to get really good at changing them (I have LOTs of practice now). The fan clutch wrenches are the only specialty item, but watch for the thermostat housing bolts to be rusted on (use PB Blaster a day early on them). As you've probably seen in the other write-ups, you have to remove the fan/clutch assembly and the shroud at the same time. When reassembling, I replace the belt to help hold the pulley when tightening it on, but pull the belt again when replacing the fan/clutch assembly. This allows me to hold the fan/clutch while spinning the water pump into its threads (MUCH easier than trying to spin the fan while keeping the threads aligned).

Regards,
Michael Pliska

·
Registered
480 Posts
My luck wouldn't allow me the extra time on a water pump. If it was dripping on me and I decided to wait a week, the damn thing would flow like niagra falls as soon as I got far enough from the house to make it back.

i think there is a fan clutch wrench trick where you use an impact hammer instead, not sure if you really need the wrench or not, but I think you can get them as loaner tools from most parts stores that loan tools.
Dont use the impact method unless you have done it before. The idiot that did mine before i did screwed it up so bad i had to tack on a pc of flatbar to get it off and tighten it back up. When i was done just gave it a good smack with the hammer and teh bar poped right off.... Go to teh cheepest parts store you can find buy a pc of crap wrench and weld on some flat stock and make your own wrench...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
alright well here goes gonna pick up new water pump from checker and install it friday night and probably saturday morning too. Any advice as to coolant or tips like the one michael had? thanks for all the help!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can anybody tell me the size of the bolt? For the fan clutch shaft? I want to make a wrench I have work on it but can't really get a set of calipers on it to measure the size? Any info on that or getting this effer off would be apreciated

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
You want a coolant designed for heavy duty engines that is low silicate.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Turns out it's 1 7/8 but also turns out it's a pita without something to bhold the pully I'm gonna have to rent the tool anyway or maybe go get a cheapie air hammer

1 - 15 of 15 Posts