Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
STILL LEARNING
18,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, been out of it a while.

Had my 97 out towing this weekend and today I noticed a coolant leak from the water pump.

Suggestions? Motorcraft ones are $210. After market are under $100.

Suggestions?

·
College Student
190 Posts
If you can get an motorcraft one for $210,I'd go that route.

Had mine go out the other week and was around $400-$450 for a motorcraft one. But that's because I had to have it then and couldn't wait for shipping. I also didn't want to change it out again for a long time which is another reason I went with motorcraft.

I want to say there is one made with a coolant filter on it. Might be worth looking into.

·
Super Moderator
8,057 Posts
I bought a diesel site one (not the one with the filter). It has a lifetime warranty. It was $115. But in the other hand my oem pump went 210k miles.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
I think that they all are a crap shoot. My original one lasted until 115K and replaced by a new one from NAPA which lasted 10K. They replaced that one and I am crossing my fingers on the e one I have on now.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I got the Airtex from Rockauto three years ago and it’s been flawless. I read somewhere they’re the supplier for Motorcraft but I don’t remember where I saw that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Native Texan
8,985 Posts
I had a napa pump lifetime warranty but they didn't want to warranty since we don't buy from them anymore. So I was telling my O'Reillys parts guy and they said they would warranty it for me. So I am running one from oriellys. I would rather have the lifetime warranty then the motorcraft name. But that just me.

Emiko Martin
Beloved Mother
1950 - 1993

·
PSN intsigator
6,095 Posts
When I have to replace anything on my truck, if funds allow, I always got bigger and better or go home

·
Ford Man
190 Posts
My OEM water pump went last Christmas at 215,000 miles. Replaced it with a CarQuest (Hecho in China) model; so far, so good. If you can get a Motorcraft for ~$200, IMO, that would be the way to go. I've heard the DieselSite units are top-shelf and as good or better than Motorcraft but I don't have one so I can't say. I priced them from their site and they are not inexpensive by any means.

https://www.dieselsite.com/1996-2003ford73lnewwaterpump-1.aspx

·
STILL LEARNING
18,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wish the pics still worked

Howdy Brad it's been a while
Yeah, been busy with about 9 other projects. The OBSs have been on the back burner

·
Administrator
32,930 Posts

·
STILL LEARNING
18,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I bought a rotorcraft off rock auto for $210. Also ordered new thermostat and housing. And a flange to keep from ever having an issue of bending the lip on the thermostat housing.
I guess it time to change the coolant to the red stuff too

·
Super Moderator
8,057 Posts
I would be careful using elc (the red stuff) it can eat the glue for the injector cups on anything e99 and older.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
I have heard than but not seen one actual case of it happening
Talked to a guy that works at a navistar shop, never heard of it as well.
I've only heard it around the forums.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Lol not going there today.....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts