Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, noticed a puddle under my truck today. Thought it was another fuel leak since I just got done fixing one. But it is coolant, I think coming from the water pump gasket on the front of the engine. How hard is it to replace this myself? It looks like I might have to remove a lot of stuff to get access at it. Any help would be awsome.

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
I would recheck the area carefully, it may be leaking from the pump weep hole. The pump uses an o-ring to seal to the engine and very rarely leaks there.

To get the pump off you need to remove the fan and shroud first, so you'll need a large fan wrench to get the nut broke loose, 2 7/8" IIRC.

After that you'll need to drain the coolant and pull the upper and lower hoses off, along with the heater hose. Then you'll just have the wire for the water temp sender and the bolts that hold the pump on.

Dave

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where should I be looking for the weep hole? I didn't get a look at it too well cause I was actually in the process of selling my mercedes diesel. Still learning the powerstroke...:ford::bowfast:

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, by the way it is a pretty steady drip comming from where ever it is at. But stops after a few minutes after it is turned off.

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
drip hole should be on top of pump housing right behind where you undo the 4 bolts.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts

he beat me. on my spare motor its on the bottum. On the one in my truck its on the top.

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
If you don't save all of the coolant, you will also need 4 gallons of Fleetrite coolant or Ford equivalent for 7.3 PSD diesels, not the regular auto antifreeze. Also Ford additive FW-16 or DCA-4, 4 pints. You have a 32 quart coolant system.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you don't save all of the coolant, you will also need 4 gallons of Fleetrite coolant or Ford equivalent for 7.3 PSD diesels, not the regular auto antifreeze. Also Ford additive FW-16 or DCA-4, 4 pints. You have a 32 quart coolant system.
And where could I pick up those additives? Any place other than ford?

·
PMS medication required
455 Posts
If you have to replace the pump now is an excellent time to flush the whole system and use an extended life coolant like Delo or Cat. I've converted two OBS trucks to the Delo extended life coolant without any problems. Beats having to buy and test additives.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So stupid question. Is there coolant that is supposed to come out the weep hole? And if there isn't how do I stop coolant from comming out? Do I need a new water pump?

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
International dealer. Be aware that the extended life coolant is not necessarily recommended for OBS trucks because of potential compatibility issues. Super Duty engines have different sealers/gaskets that are compatible with ELC.

If coolant is coming out of the weep hole, you need to replace the water pump.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
International dealer. Be aware that the extended life coolant is not necessarily recommended for OBS trucks because of potential compatibility issues. Super Duty engines have different sealers/gaskets that are compatible with ELC.

If coolant is coming out of the weep hole, you need to replace the water pump.

that is what i figured. was hoping you guys would tell me different though.:doh: are there better water pumps out there or is what i can get from the local parts store enough? gonna start moddin' soon, but nothing like some of the guys on here. just mild stuff...

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok ran the truck again today. Ran it up to temp, let it run at temp for bout 30 minutes. Checked under the truck and no coolant dripping??? Checked coolant level and it was a little low but not alarming. Don't know where to go from here... i' gonna run it a few more times and see if I can get a drip to form. Any idea what this could be if I can't get a drip to form? And also, could I top off the tank with straight water and be ok? Again, thanks for all the help. This is definatly the best forum I am a part of.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Run it until you hear the clutch kick in for the fan then check for leaking at the weep hole. I would venture to say that once it gets a torque load on the shaft it starts leaking. If so then it is time to replace the pump. You could replace it with the International water pump which also has a filter.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'd get an OE water pump from International or Ford. I've never heard anything bad about the Bosch units either—you can pick them up for about $140. Just don't buy an Auto Zone special ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts