Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me here, I just installed a new water/methanol system on my truck today and I'm a little disappointed with the results. Although I can feel a slight increase in power my EGT didn't seem to drop at all I still hit 1500 degree plus on a wide open throttle run just like I did before the system was installed. The sad part is I seem to hit these temps very quickly. I have also ran the system with the injection turned off and the temp still stay the same. I wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and if so if there's anything I can do about it. Right now I am running 50/50 water/methanol blend. Any help here would be very much appreciated, thank you in advance!

·
Registered
332 Posts
i'm not running water/meth but Mine was hitting 1400 when i first put my tuner on. turns out that i had some boost leaks that i fixed and also cranked down on my wastegate rod. now the most i see is 1200.

·
nobody likes a quitter
447 Posts
Try straight water.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, right now I'm not tuned for the water/meth it's just running in conjunction with my Edge programmer. Also is there a certain way that I check for a boost leak?

·
riverjet
459 Posts
Hey I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me here, I just installed a new water/methanol system on my truck today and I'm a little disappointed with the results. Although I can feel a slight increase in power my EGT didn't seem to drop at all I still hit 1500 degree plus on a wide open throttle run just like I did before the system was installed. The sad part is I seem to hit these temps very quickly. I have also ran the system with the injection turned off and the temp still stay the same. I wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and if so if there's anything I can do about it. Right now I am running 50/50 water/methanol blend. Any help here would be very much appreciated, thank you in advance!
50/50 is way to much on a powerstroke.I get about 150 deg. less egt on 35%.Meth is a fuel that creates heat.

·
Back in Black
1,379 Posts
id run 100% water, i also wouldnt run an edge, im not certain but i would imagine theyd run hot anyways...

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
50/50 and an edge is not the safest combo.
Edges are not as flexible as a chip . The chip can be tuned to handle the changes need.
At 50% you are getting up there timing may need to be backed off some.

There was a truck in one of the diesel mags that ran 70 percent but tuned. For it.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
50/50 and an edge is not the safest combo.
Edges are not as flexible as a chip . The chip can be tuned to handle the changes need.
At 50% you are getting up there timing may need to be backed off some.

There was a truck in one of the diesel mags that ran 70 percent but tuned. For it.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Personally I would only use water only. But if I did I would never go over 25 meth in other words blue windshield washer fluid. The meth has the effect of advancing your timing. Running the edge with its defualt tunes IMO is a mistake as well. Wate only is the way to go. You will still see som HP gains and all the cooling effects.

What are you referancing off of EGT or boost?

How do you have the controler setup?

Which jets did you use from the kit?

What type of driving does it take to get your egts up over 1200-1300 without any water?

·
Harry Callahan
991 Posts
:whs: both times LOL

Over 20% is asking for trouble. Is your system boost referenced, or manual? You want the water to come on before the temps get high, it works better that way. Keep increasing your jet size until you feel the power drop off, then go back down a size.

·
nobody likes a quitter
447 Posts
Never GO over 20% or Blue washer fluid!

This is what an Edge, ATS programer tuned to stack with the Edge, and 50% did to my 7.3. :doh:

I wish I knew then what I know now! Just use water or -20* washer fluid ONLY.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Ouch!!!

·
Back to Civilian Life!!
2,469 Posts
Yeah I would use straight water nothing but. Thats a bad idea to run it without a chip with tunes for it also. I would get a chip from one of the vendors on here to help you out. That alone will lower your EGTs and your truck will have much more power.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I need to get a goo DP tune thats made to run with my water/meth system. But every since I ran the first couple of tests with it all I have run is blue windshield washer fluid. I also just got back from my first dyno and there was no power gain what so ever between the runs with the system on or off. So I'm still perplexed as to whats going on.

·
Junior Mint
2,461 Posts
You have so much in their your timing is advancing to the point where power actually drops off. Serious advance.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Remember water freezes ya need a lil meth in the winter...or a lot for the really cold areas but then you might pull the pump fuse for extreme cold

·
Back to Civilian Life!!
2,469 Posts
Check to see if it is actually pumping water. Pull the hose off of the nozzle on the intake and just hotwire the pump to see if its pumping. You may not have it calibrated right or the fuse might be blow.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
I'd hate to see your actual ICP after running an Edge Juice for a long period of time. Maybe your temperature is due to the wrong power adder for this application and too much pulsewidth and not enough ICP (also caused by the Juice).

·
Registered
284 Posts
Just throwing this out there... Cessnakid, it seems like with the mods listed in your sig, that your EGTs are too high to begin with.
Somebody tell me if I'm wrong, but with my 140 tune from DP I can barely get the truck over 1200-1250. Last summer I pulled my truck, and the EGT gauge was reading 1250 all the way down the track.

Is the Water/Meth supposed to help MPG much?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts