Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im in a dilemma trying to decide whether to run water/meth injection or not..... if anyone is running this give me the upsides and downsides..... ive been looking at some dyno charts and im pretty impressed what the numbers are on factory vehicles.....

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
You gonna use it for cooling, or power?

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im lookin for a mixture of both..... planning on an sct chip from innovative and snow performance stage 2 methanol injection..... already have an intake and straight pipe..... and i have gauges and right now with my pickup factory it gets a lil warm on the exhaust temp dragging a heavy loaded trailer through the hills

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Well power will come with cooling effect, but from what I have been told is do not use Meth as a power. I have been told a mix of mostly water (to cool egt's) is best, methanol gets awfully dangerous for trying to make power... I could be wrong but I am sure someone running water/meth will chime in...

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
have you ever run water/meth in your 6.0....... i have never dealt with it but id like to see what i can do...... im not real fond of seeing my pyro setting at 1200-1250 pulling hills loaded....... my pickup has 187,000 on it right now and only had 3 injectors and that was in the first 6,000 miles so im trying to keep it together as long as i can

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I looked into it real hard because of my towing egt's too, plus I can hit 1600* in a WOT pull with no load. I decided not to buy it because I just shouldn't spend to money right now. From what I have read on here people love it, but I have also read that most guys run just water... What tune are you towing in?

·
Registered
387 Posts
I ran it in my cummins, used a 50/50mix. Worked well. As for the ford, I hear you need to use like 30/70. 70% water that is. I have the stage two and plan on using it for cooling when running hard.

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so what would you guys recommend for a setup on a factory motor... not studs never been touched... 187,000 miles

·
Registered
536 Posts
Is there other ways to keep it cool besides water/meth?

·
The Unseen Mod
4,126 Posts
Too much Meth, say bye bye pistons. Just careful with your mixture alot of guys use it for towing.

·
Damnkids Motorsports
2,260 Posts
Meth adds more cylinder pressure as well, so probably not a terrible idea to have headstuds if using this.

It works well for cooling, I agree, go heavy with the water and lighter with the meth.

If you want other options, air is what cools a diesel, so you could do an intake/exhaust if not already, then intercooler and/or turbo.

·
Its a wild ride...
560 Posts
1200-1250* really isn't that bad when pulling hills... IMO you can pull in that range just about all day long and not have any issues. 6.0's like to be worked hard, especially the turbo. Haven't heard of too many people shelling out chargers that work them like they were designed to be worked. An after market I/C would give you at least a 100* drop in the same loaded conditions you described. The water injection would give you all that and then some, but with the hassle of refilling the tank over and over. The I/C will cost you better than 2x the cost of a stage 2 snow kit, but no maintenance. If you go with the water IMO only add enough meth to keep it from freezing. 20-30% max.

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so what u guys are saying is that gettin radical or not it would be a good idea to put a seat of studs and new gaskets in?..... i dont have a problem with that except i like like 3.5-4 hours from the closest diesel performance shop that i know of...... and i dont want to tear into this myself... im a diesel ag technician and work with wrenches all day and have no ambition to go home at nite and tear apart my only running pickup..... if i get the obs running in the next week or so i may deliver my dually to beans even though it is 1000 miles to get there..... if anyone knows of anything closer by all means throw it out there

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
im in southwest kansas.... Garden City, KS

·
Registered
338 Posts
Can you use something like denatured alcohol in place of the methanol in a system ?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Just thinking out loud.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts