Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Cummins Power
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Stage III kit thats been collecting dust. While the truck is down I'd like to get it installed. The HMax y-pipe has bosses cast into each side. Should I put them there or in the intercooler tube?

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
that will be a good place to put them... Thats where I used to have mine, but the stock Y pipe started to wallow out. Bungs would be fine though.

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
Is that what those bosses are for in the Hmax Y-pipe?

And is it a bad idea to put the nozzle(s) before the turbo? I've always wondered why they are put post-turbo.

Dave

·
HRT Performance
4,565 Posts
A lot of pullers will put one small jet ahead of the turbo to keep the wheel cool. In fact Columbus Diesel recommends it. But that only applies to competition only vehicles. I would not run a jet ahead of the turbo for cooling on a tow vehicle as it will cause wear.

·
HRT Performance
4,565 Posts
I also need to add that the only ones I know running a small jet before the charger are also running high pressure systems, NOT low pressure off the shelf towing setups. I'm talking 500 to 1200 psi.

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
I also need to add that the only ones I know running a small jet before the charger are also running high pressure systems, NOT low pressure off the shelf towing setups. I'm talking 500 to 1200 psi.
I would imagine at those pressures the water would be atomized to the point it wouldn't damage the compressor wheel.

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
Thanks for all the good info guys.

Dave

·
Needs more hours per day
1,781 Posts
The water will cause wear on the leading edge of the blades pre-turbo.
I'd have never thought that water would cause turbo blade wear. Learn something new here all the time.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
well if you had the nozzle pre IC wouldnt the water puddle up in the IC.

I dont know it is just a thought.

Billy

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
well if you had the nozzle pre IC wouldnt the water puddle up in the IC.

I dont know it is just a thought.

Billy
Nah, not at any significant pressure. Maybe if it came on at 5psi of boost and you had really poor atomization and low pressure from the water kit.

If the water is atomize halfway decent and it comes on at 20psi or > it should be fine.

At that point it's not really "water" flowing into the intake as you would think. More like water vapor cooling the intake charge and adding moisture (read density).

·
Sponsor
1,583 Posts
The closer you inject the water to the compressor outlet, the farther the water mist has to travel, and the more cooling effect it has on the air that you are forcing in the engine. You wouldn't turn it on at 5 psi. Our setup starts injecting water at 45 psi of boost. Water pressure is 800 psi plus.

·
Cummins Power
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So It'd be better to put the nozzles in the tube?

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
ahh
the bungs are there already..if you don't like them just put the plugs in , then move it. way easier and get the stuff out of the closet faster.

water can do wild things to metal....ever see a water milling machine,
slightly more pressure but very cool.

·
Cummins Power
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The nozzles are in the y-bungs. I'm just looking for advice from anyone with more knowledge about water than me.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
What else do you want to know?

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
The nozzles are in the y-bungs. I'm just looking for advice from anyone with more knowledge about water than me.
its wet
it weighs 62.4 lbs per cubic foot
8.33 lb's a gallon
it freezes at 32' boils at 212'
made from 2 hydrogen atoms and 1 oxygen
it has a high specific heat index
it has a high surface tension rating too.

:poke:

ok joking aside Joe's the man i fire all my water q's at.

·
Cummins Power
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The closer you inject the water to the compressor outlet, the farther the water mist has to travel, and the more cooling effect it has on the air that you are forcing in the engine. You wouldn't turn it on at 5 psi. Our setup starts injecting water at 45 psi of boost. Water pressure is 800 psi plus.
So It'd be better to put the nozzles in the tube?
Would it be better to have the nozzles in the intercooler tube rather than the Y? Or should I leave them in the Y?

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
Would it be better to have the nozzles in the intercooler tube rather than the Y? Or should I leave them in the Y?

With a cooling mist or snows kit I would put them in the Y or the IC pipe, it really doesnt matter at the pressures we are injecting at. The Y pipe is easy because you can just drill and tap, but if you can have some bungs welded into the IC tubes then put it there.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts