Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I was watching a video on youtube and it said you have to drain the water out of the fuel every 30days. and it should a pic of it. I change my fuel filter every 20k. does anybody know how to do this and is it easy?

·
<---new toy
856 Posts
all you have to do is flip the switch on the bottom filter housing and let it drain until it quits.close it. then turn the key on 8- 10 times each time for 30 seconds, so the fuel pump will fill it back up.

·
Madd Dogg Diesel
745 Posts
there is a valve on the fuel filter base on the frame rail, just open it let it drain a few seconds and close it, its easy, i dont do it eery 30 days that seems like alot but im sure it dont hurt either

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok i jus did it i open it for about 5 sec. it was clear like water at first then it turned green into diesel fuel. should i jus leave it open till it stops or did i do it right...?

·
Madd Dogg Diesel
745 Posts
i just open it til the water is all gone not til its empty, not sure what other guys do but water and diesel dont mix so i feel that if the water is out its good enough

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
Once you get a idea of the quality of the fuel, that will determine how often you drain, I havent drained my air dog in about 10k miles, and im positive if i did, only a few drops of water would come out. Anytime i go on the road, and im filling up at places im not sure on fuel quality, i drain more often, you would be suprised on how good the fuel is in places, and how bad it is in others, stick to truck stops, and try to stick with the same ones if possible.

·
Madd Dogg Diesel
745 Posts
:whs: also with the factory fuel system if you dont drain it you will get a light on the dash before you have and problems

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya i pass by a big truck stop on the highway going to work everytime. alot of big rigs always filling up their. i even go to their side of the station to fill my truck. ya not really to much water was in it i dunno if the last owner of the truck ever did it. also are their better fuel filters i can throw into my truck other than fords. i wood like to go longer than 20k....?

·
Madd Dogg Diesel
745 Posts
they are cheap insurance and the reason you have to change them so offten is the ultra low sulfer crap is not as good of a fuel as the old stuff, it also suspends the dirt instead of it sitting at the bottom of the tank

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok do any of you guys use amsoil filters for your fuel filter... I have their bypass oil filter system and changed it every 20k. i wood think the fuel filters wood be good.

·
Registered
423 Posts
My drain water light comes on almost daily it seems like. I open the valve everytime it comes on and usually nothing even comes out and when it does...its diesel no water...any ideas why the light keeps coming on?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts