Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening everyone. I have a 97 Ford F-350XL 7.3. The issue as you can see in the title is the water in fuel light coming on. So every time I turn right. Even slightly, the “water in fuel” light comes on. When I straighten the wheel or turn left, goes off. Doesn’t usually happen sitting still. I’ve noticed it’s comes on at times standing still if the truck is at an angle. This light has been on his I got it. My diesel tech(he worked at Ford for 17yrs) did a lot of engine work to fix all the leaks. He found two gas leaks, one near the pump and the other was in front of the engine. He also had to replace the manual fuel pump. He drained the fuel bowl 3 times and the light still came on. He thinks it might be defective. I’m just curious, if I should be concerned? The light comes with either fuel tank. I noticed the guy before me replaced the rear fuel tank but looks like he put a gas sending unit. Reason I think that is the person cut the wires from plug on the body and spliced it to the sending unit, since there’s 4 wires in the gas sending unit and only two for diesel..right? Lol

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
If there's water in the fuel it usually does come on when making right turns. I would drain some fuel from the bowl into a glass jar and see what it looks like (let it sit for awhile). Here's a diagram for the WIF circuit. Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
512 Posts
He found two gas leaks...
"Fuel" leaks - not gas. ;)
He drained the fuel bowl 3 times and the light still came on.
It sounds like there's a LOT of water in those tanks. It took me weeks of repeated draining to get most of the water out of my truck's tanks.
He thinks it might be defective.
How? The sensor is just a stainless pin in a plastic bushing that screws into the side of the fuel bowl. Water makes a connection between the pin & metal bowl (which is grounded to the engine), closing the circuit. There are no moving parts, and nothing to "go bad".
...a gas sending unit. ...since there’s 4 wires in the gas sending unit and only two for diesel..right?
This is one of the factory level senders from my truck:

(click this text)

There are 2 wires in the frame harness; 4 wires from the connector to the tank plate, and 1 wire inside.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Fuel" leaks - not gas. ;)It sounds like there's a LOT of water in those tanks. It took me weeks of repeated draining to get most of the water out of my truck's tanks.How? The sensor is just a stainless pin in a plastic bushing that screws into the side of the fuel bowl. Water makes a connection between the pin & metal bowl (which is grounded to the engine), closing the circuit. There are no moving parts, and nothing to "go bad".This is one of the factory level senders from my truck:

(click this text)

There are 2 wires in the frame harness; 4 wires from the connector to the tank plate, and 1 wire inside.
Thank you for the correction lol so to drain the water out of the tanks. Is it best to run the tanks close to empty and siphon the rest out? Or to drop the tanks(near empty) and dump the fuel/water out?

thank you guys for the help

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
First off you need to find out if you do have water in the fuel.

Catch the drained fuel into a glass container where you can see if there is indeed water in it. Water is heaver than diesel fuel and will sink to the bottom. To do this the easiest way is to get a piece of 3/8 inch fuel hose, about a foot of it. Then get under the front of the truck and look on the front passenger side and you will see a tube that ends before where the passenger side negative battery cable attaches. Slip the hose over this tube, the tube is the drain line for the fuel filter.

Then you can catch the drained fuel without it making a mess all over the front end of the truck.

I got a bad tank of fuel a number of years ago and it took me a number of tanks of fuel before I got it out by just draining the filter housing when the WIF light came on. If you want to drain the tanks you are almost going to need to pull the tank to get the water out of it if there is water in it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First off you need to find out if you do have water in the fuel.

Catch the drained fuel into a glass container where you can see if there is indeed water in it. Water is heaver than diesel fuel and will sink to the bottom. To do this the easiest way is to get a piece of 3/8 inch fuel hose, about a foot of it. Then get under the front of the truck and look on the front passenger side and you will see a tube that ends before where the passenger side negative battery cable attaches. Slip the hose over this tube, the tube is the drain line for the fuel filter.

Then you can catch the drained fuel without it making a mess all over the front end of the truck.

I got a bad tank of fuel a number of years ago and it took me a number of tanks of fuel before I got it out by just draining the filter housing when the WIF light came on. If you want to drain the tanks you are almost going to need to pull the tank to get the water out of it if there is water in it.
Awesome, thank you. I’ll do that tomorrow and update

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m sorry I didn’t post when I said I would. Time got away from me but I was able to do the jar test. There is water in there. Looks like I’ll be pulling the tanks. For now the truck is at my friends house, replacing the floor pans, rocker and cab corners on both sides.

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
I have of good success by using a external electric fuel pump to pump all the fuel out.

You can disconnect the fuel line from the tank valve and make up a connection there to pump it. You can even down through the fill hole but you might not get all the fuel out.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
If you do remove the tanks, it would be a good idea to inspect the "showerhead" fuel pickups in the tanks as they are of the age where they like to disintegrate. Cheers!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Looks like I’ll be pulling the tanks.
I recommend pulling the bed. From the pic I posted above, go to the NEXT until you've read everything in that photo album.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have of good success by using a external electric fuel pump to pump all the fuel out.

You can disconnect the fuel line from the tank valve and make up a connection there to pump it. You can even down through the fill hole but you might not get all the fuel out.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
Great idea! Thank you, I’ll try that first and hopefully that solves my problem

1 - 11 of 11 Posts