Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
PSN Insomniac
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the elite wastegate. Do you plug both the open ports? Just curious, truck wont build enough backpressure and i cant seem to get much adjustment out of the controller. The controller also whistles like a tea pot sometimes too.

Also, I have an elite hpfp and airdog. Does anyone elses truck "surge" after a bump?
If i hit a bump just right in the road the FRP will start bouncing up and down. You can feel it in the truck and the only way to stop it is to let off and then get into it. Or giving it more trottle helps. I dont think its "power hop" or anything like that. It does it when im just cruising.

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
97singlecab had some sort of an issue like this too, where one of the ports on the side had to be pluged to make the controller work properly, otherwise he basicly had a boost leak with high drive pressure, but im sure you could have low drive pressure as well, im sure thats the tea kettle sound you hear.

·
PSN Insomniac
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well its crazy bc i have both ports blocked.

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
I cant honestly say which ports are supposed to have what but i think the side one is supposed to have the regulated boost reference and the top is supposed to have a regular boost reference, i might be bass akwards on that one, i will have mike chime in

·
PSN Insomniac
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No. Its the one you pull to adjust. I have the plug that came in the bag, and a brass plug in the top. The hose runs "straight" through. I couldnt find any smoke under the hood today. And just from the way it feels under a load, it seems to be the wastegate is at least an issue.

·
Registered
485 Posts
The new precision gates actually have three ports in them, two on the sides one on the top. You need to plug one of the holes on the side. Then run the blue line from the controller to the other side port, Then put the other fitting that comes in the kit in the top port so that it vents to atmosphere.

·
PSN Insomniac
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The new precision gates actually have three ports in them, two on the sides one on the top. You need to plug one of the holes on the side. Then run the blue line from the controller to the other side port, Then put the other fitting that comes in the kit in the top port so that it vents to atmosphere.
Thats how its been from the get-go.

·
PSN Insomniac
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When i was first testing i turned it all the way clockwise to eliminate the wastegate as a problem. I would see around 60-65 on the DD. I turned it back and it dropped. I changed tunes, adjusted some more. Then put an airdog on and it took away alot of the problems.(I hope) Now im at around 45bp 20 lbs of boost. Thats when i hear the "old diesel sound" itll smoke alot if i get into it. And it just feels like the motor is being heald back by what i think a wastegate would feel like.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Turning the controller clockwise should open the gate farther. It takes very little adjustment to affect the back pressure alot.

·
PSN Insomniac
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So should i just turn it all the way counter-clockwise? Ive done this before and it really had a minimal effect.

Also, is the extra port on the controller supposed to be plugged? Mine is, but lets just say I wasnt happy with the install instruction.

·
Registered
485 Posts
On the controller yes it should be plugged or you would just be bleeding off the boost. There should be an arrow on the bottom of the controller. You need the barbed fitting going in where the arrow is and another barb fitting directly across from it. All other ports should be plugged.

·
PSN Insomniac
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Check.
Now if i have the regulater flowing backwards, is that a problem?

·
Registered
485 Posts
yes. It needs to be flowing in the direction of the arrow on the bottom. meaning boost coming in and the out side going to the wastegate.

·
PSN Insomniac
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mine is nothing like this. I have the blue hose flowing boost to the wastegate contoller. Then from the controller to the side of the wastegate. The top fitting vents to atmosphere. The other port on the side of the wastegate is plugged. Also the wastegate controller is plugged. The only thing i dont know is if the regulator is backwards and flowing in the right direction.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Mine is nothing like this. I have the blue hose flowing boost to the wastegate contoller. Then from the controller to the side of the wastegate. The top fitting vents to atmosphere. The other port on the side of the wastegate is plugged. Also the wastegate controller is plugged. The only thing i dont know is if the regulator is backwards and flowing in the right direction.
This is the correct way to install it. Just check that you have the controller going the right direction. They are a little finicky to adjust but be patient and take your time with small adjustments.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts