Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's your best way to wash a black truck to make it look really shiny? 2 bucket wash, and wax? Where do I start?
I was thinking of getting foam cannon for my pressure washer... After its washed what would I do for wax? So many options I'm lost, spray on? Any help please and thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
90 Posts
I assume you're new to the truck so I'll start by saying if you bought it used- polish it. You won't believe the results. My truck had 90k on it when I bought it and the paint was pretty abused. I took a day to polish the whole thing and it was like a mirror. If you're not up for that or the truck is brand new, just washing it with a bucket of really soapy water works wonders. Obviously dry it after to avoid water spots. Lemme know if you have any other questions, I detail cars a lot and own a black f350 that's always getting washed.

·
Registered
230 Posts
If you're not up for that or the truck is brand new, just washing it with a bucket of really soapy water works wonders. Obviously dry it after to avoid water spots.
I do the above then apply a coat of Meguires Spray wax. Doesn't hold up as long as paste, but takes 1/3 the time and looks great.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Agreed on the spray wax. Stuff works great. Only pressure wash your tires, rims, undercarriage, and fender wells.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I love the dupont Teflon spray on, hold up very very well to mud and rain in between washes. Wipe on, haze up and wipe off. It's kind of like a spray paste... best way to describe it.

I used to use it on my rice rocket wind screen before every ride. When I would get home from country riding all it would take to get the bugs off the windscreen was a wipe with a microfiber towel and it was shiny and new. Been using it ever since (13 years)

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,855 Posts
yeah man, a series of 2-bucket washes with really soapy water and drying with soft cloth/chamois ... followed by a polish or clay bar ... followed by your choice of wax yields professional results!
Some even say that a clay bar run either before or after the polish (not too sure lol, i usually do that immediately after the final soapy wash & dry) is worthwile. I've always wanted know for sure what is normal. i've just had good luck this way

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've found the clay bar to be kind of either/or when it comes to polishing. I think if you planned on polishing you wouldn't need the clay bar, however if you wanted to only use the clay, you're basically going to end with the same smooth results as polishing, minus the scratch removal. I guess if you were dead set on doing both I'd polish first. That's what I do at least. Good call on the clay bar though, I had forgotten about that!

Reactions: Turd-250

·
Registered
232 Posts
Following the 2-bucket wash method is good to avoid swirl marks. About the wax, Blackfire Blackice Wax will provide a deep gloss black effect.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just to clear up the clay/polish thing, always clay before you polish. Actually I've moved on to a Nanoskin prep towel. Does the same thing as a clay bar only it takes a fraction of the time. In any case, the clay step removes bonded contaminates from the surface of your paint leaving a completely clean and smooth surface to polish. The polish will then remove the swirls and scratches from your paint. Depending on the grade of clay or prep towel/mitt/pad you're using, there's potential to lightly marr the surface of your paint, so you don't want to do the clay step after polishing.

I stick with either the 2 bucket wash method with grit guards in my buckets or the "garry dean wash method" depending on how dirty the vehicle is. The 2 bucket is pretty self explanatory. If you've never heard of the garry dean method, look it up on youtube. It's a wash method using a rinseless wash. It works awesome, I can do it in my garage out of the sun, and you dry as you wash so you get no water spots.

For drying, if I do a 2 bucket wash, I'll go over it with forced air (I use a metro vac n blo, but an air compressor or leaf blower will work as well) to get all the water out of the crevices and then finish drying with a waffle weave drying towel. If I do a rinseless wash I dry after washing every panel with a waffle weave drying towel.

I'm on vacation in a week and will be doing a full paint correction/detail with a paint coating on the 05 (black as well) I bought last week and will be doing a full write up with before/after pictures and the process

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,855 Posts
Just to clear up the clay/polish thing, always clay before you polish. Actually I've moved on to a Nanoskin prep towel. Does the same thing as a clay bar only it takes a fraction of the time. In any case, the clay step removes bonded contaminates from the surface of your paint leaving a completely clean and smooth surface to polish. The polish will then remove the swirls and scratches from your paint. Depending on the grade of clay or prep towel/mitt/pad you're using, there's potential to lightly marr the surface of your paint, so you don't want to do the clay step after polishing.

I stick with either the 2 bucket wash method with grit guards in my buckets or the "garry dean wash method" depending on how dirty the vehicle is. The 2 bucket is pretty self explanatory. If you've never heard of the garry dean method, look it up on youtube. It's a wash method using a rinseless wash. It works awesome, I can do it in my garage out of the sun, and you dry as you wash so you get no water spots.

For drying, if I do a 2 bucket wash, I'll go over it with forced air (I use a metro vac n blo, but an air compressor or leaf blower will work as well) to get all the water out of the crevices and then finish drying with a waffle weave drying towel. If I do a rinseless wash I dry after washing every panel with a waffle weave drying towel.

I'm on vacation in a week and will be doing a full paint correction/detail with a paint coating on the 05 (black as well) I bought last week and will be doing a full write up with before/after pictures and the process
i look forward to your write up!
x2 on the leaf blower!
& nanoskin eh? like this???
http://www.amazon.com/Nanoskin-AS-009-AutoScrub-Grade-Towel/dp/B00CUAWEZC

·
Registered
17 Posts
That's it. Haven't touched a piece of clay since I got it a couple years ago. Initial purchase is a little pricey, but you get a lot of use out of it and if you drop it you can just rinse it off and reuse it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts