Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just installed a denso high torque starter, heard some metal on metal after first start, so pulled the inspection cover and restarted, noticed the flex plate has a slight warp to it. Would this be why I get alittle starter rub? Seems like it disengages slow only in a certain spot, it does it once every 5 starts. Should I shim the starter or replace the flex plate?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have a flex plate that I am not using. It came with a used engine I purchased. I am running a zf-5. I will take $35 plus the ride, if you need one.

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a flex plate that I am not using. It came with a used engine I purchased. I am running a zf-5. I will take $35 plus the ride, if you need one.
I'll keep ya mind on that, I wanna look into some billet ones first. So far they are expensive!!

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anybody else have the starter hit the flex plate when everything's cold? Wondering if I possibly got the wrong one.... Only hits when cold and and makes a winding up sound if I use reverse when cold. If it runs for 15 minutes everything is fine.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
My standard start on the 96 will do that it will bounce off and grind. It only does this every so often. I need to replace mine.

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wonder if shimming will help for a temp fix for now.... Not the right thing to do but I currently don't have another truck to use right now.

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would the flex plate also explain the recent vibration that started a week ago? 25+ I get a vibration with foot on the skinny pedal! take it off and it's gone. Thought my u joints were going so I did them all and a trans mount while I was there. Vibrations still there. Don't say tires cuz I balanced them and had them off with truck on hoist. Still did it.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Would the flex plate also explain the recent vibration that started a week ago? 25+ I get a vibration with foot on the skinny pedal! take it off and it's gone. Thought my u joints were going so I did them all and a trans mount while I was there. Vibrations still there. Don't say tires cuz I balanced them and had them off with truck on hoist. Still did it.
IT could be cracked

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I was afraid it might be, pulled the trans today to just be sure since snows on the way again and can't afford to have this truck down too. No cracks, so I did a rear main and put it back together. I'm stumped

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ended up shimming the starter out with a washer on each bolt. Stopped the grinding and starter still engages fully on the flexplate.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Yeah I was afraid it might be, pulled the trans today to just be sure since snows on the way again and can't afford to have this truck down too. No cracks, so I did a rear main and put it back together. I'm stumped
You pulled the trans and did not replace the flex plate even though it was questionable?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Did you remove the flexplate and look at it. Most of the time they crack behind the retaining ring and you can't see it w/o removing the flexplate. Then its pretty obvious where the problem is.

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You pulled the trans and did not replace the flex plate even though it was questionable?
Yeah I know it wasn't the best thing to do, this is my plow truck now and I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't gonna have a major break down while I was out plowing the other day. I ordered a new flex plate just waitng on it still. It was cheaper for me to check out my current flex plate then have to pay someone to plow for me..... I don't wanna have to pay 1200 bucks out if I don't have too ..... If u know what I mean

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you remove the flexplate and look at it. Most of the time they crack behind the retaining ring and you can't see it w/o removing the flexplate. Then its pretty obvious where the problem is.
Yeah I pulled it and inspected it. How else would I have been able to do the rear main? :poke:

·
Registered
758 Posts
Yeah I pulled it and inspected it. How else would I have been able to do the rear main? :poke:
LOL

Sorry missed that part completely. Most people don't check so that's why I mentioned it. I got burned once the same way...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts