Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I start my truck up and let it get warmed up before I go it doesn’t warm the cab up. I could use some help where to start looking for the issue. It’s an 04 F250 6.0, and as soon as I get going it warms right up. I appreciate any help

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,821 Posts
i'm kinda wondering what your coolant temp is myself! my truck kinda has a threshhold of about 120F before everything starts working well, the cabin heat included of course... always wondered how everyone else's 6.0 act.

i will say, i had a bad t-stat when i bought it and it made warm ups miserable lol!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Duh I should probably check it, I don’t have a monitor but I can put the scanner on it and check the temp. Will do that and pass on the info plus hopefully have some monitoring ability as soon as I pay the Xmas bill

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,087 Posts
$5 ForScan Lite download to a smart phone and a $35 ELM327 OBDII adapter ......

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
If you're getting good temps and no heat when idling, but you do have heat when you increase RPMs (whether just using pedal or while driving) then I would suspect a couple items. First, check to see if you have the valve in your heater hose right above the passenger valve cover. It is vacuum controlled. To allow heat through, the arm on the back side should NOT be pulled all the way into the body of the valve. If it is, your valve is stuck in the closed (or mostly closed) position. Trying remedying that first and see if it fixes your problem.

The second thought is your water pump. Easy check is to check for flow coming out of the small hose which plugs into the intake manifold. Disconnect it, attach a longer hose, open the degas bottle and run the hose to the opening. Start it up. If water flows well at idle, pump is good. If it trickles, pump is likely bad. A check using FORScan or TorquePro to see actual engine temps while driving will help verify temps.

My final thought is head gaskets. Mildly leaking head gaskets allow just enough gas into the cooling system that the water pump can't overcome it at idle, and since the heater is the second highest point in the system, gas gets trapped and you get no heat. Higher RPMs allow the water pump to push that gas out, and you get heat. Best way to check this is to install a pressure gauge into the cooling system by teeing into the line going from radiator to the degas bottle. Do a quick search....there's lots of info on here about it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You do know that a diesel is just a big air pump don't you?
It needs a load or rpm to get heated especially when its cold, I remote start then use my AIC to increase rpms and have heat beginning 10 minutes sometimes a lil longer depending on ambient temp.
Altho theres a bunch of good ideas already thrown out there get some numbers b4 U throw $$$ at it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts