Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished replacing injectors. Started with D/S last wednesday, replaced them all and when I was done it wouldn't start hot so i tore everything back down and checked for torn o-rings, including standpipe, and re-assembled. somehow it appeared to be fixed and started fine.

Sunday I did the P/S side, got everything back together and drove it around to get it nice and hot (180+EOT) and it would start right back up so i parked it figuring everything was fine. Tonight after work I stopped at the gas station, shut it down and when I went to leave it would not start, just kept cranking. Scangauge said ICP was barely reaching 300, EOT was 174 so i let it cool long enough to finally crank on it and get it to fire. I have a large hill right before my house, got the eot up to 190 and by the time I idled down it was down to 186, shut her down, waited till ICP went to 0 and tried restarting and it fired right up. Waited until eot was at 170 and tried again and now no start.

I still have the original standpipe/dummy plugs in the truck, I'm thinking that they may be the hpo leak as they were removed and reinstalled during the injector change? But I'm confused as to why it starts hot but not at 170? Sorry for the long post!

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
FWIW the truck already has the updated STC fitting. I think your new parts will fix the issue Kevin.

·
Diesel Sled Head
1,101 Posts
I definitely would have replaced the dummy plugs and standpipes as part of the repair.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well they are on the way so hopefully they fix the issue.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok replaced the standpipes and dummy plugs with the new upgraded ones but still having a leak somewhere. Scangauge shows ICP barely reaching 205psi when the EOT was at 174. IPR goes up to 77.6 when cranking and is at 14.4KOEO. Guessing the next step is to close IPR valve and air test system?

·
Registered
20 Posts
When you bolted down the oil manifolds did you make sure and center them in the injectors before tightening? Just wondering if you maybe nicked an injector o-ring? Probably not but just a thought, what I would do is get it hot and get it into a no start condition then quickly air up the hpo system. Keep the IPR open and listen then either command it closed or else power it up. If the noise stays the same suspect an IPR maybe? Check for noise at your valve covers just in case before you start buying parts you don't need though. I don't have a lot of experience but I have seen an IPR intermittently stick at high temperatures. Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't nick an 0-ring that i know of but I guess its possible. I centered each tube on each injector top. Do you know what fitting is required to adapt into the ICP sensor? And anyone know if or how autoenginuity can command the IPR closed? I'd rather do that than jump it with 12v.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright well I just finished air testing the system. Here is what I did and got: Removed ICP Sensor, threaded in adaptor. Put paper clip into IPR Wire terminal on the pcm plug and put a wire w/alligator clip on that. I removed the intake bellow section and the oil fill cap. When I put air pressure on the system I can feel air coming out of the oil fill cap and out of the ccv tube. When I apply 12v to the IPR I can hear it clicking but I hear no change in the air flow. Does this mean I'm looking at an HPOP?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So it would seem that I have a leak on each bank?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
But I am hearing and feeling air coming out of the Oil Fill and CCV?

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Your whole interior of your engine is tied together. Until you locate your air leak you won't know. Could all be coming from just one side.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts