Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 6.4 for almost 3 years. While researching on the web I have decided that a DPF/Cat delete is better on your truck than the stupid regen process. I tow a 15,000 lb travel trailer at least once a month to BBQ cook-offs all over Texas. My truck has the power and I have no problem pulling it. The rest of the time it is my daily driver. With out the trailer I get around 10-11. I understand that the power increase with the tuners is one of the ways that you can get better MPGs. I have searched and read all over the web about people with tuners pulling large loads. Some love it and some hate it. The biggest complaint seems to be with the way the truck shifts and EGTs getting up there. A local shop has a Dr. Performance kit with the pipes that will just shut off the DPF for $300. He said the company went out of business and this is his last one that he wants to get rid of so that makes me a bit leery. If I decide to get a tuner (H&S, Spartan, SCT) to get the higher HPs and improved MPGs, who has the best tow program, or can I just go back to stock (with out DPF) settings when I tow? I know that everyone has a fav tuner and I know that almost everyone has asked what tuner to get and everyone has answered this question a million times. I have searched and read a lot before asking. I just like to have as much info as I can before I jump in and do something like this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I dont tow any thing but I have the H&S mini max and there is 3 tune sets that you can download onto the mini max. And in each set there is 4 switch on the fly tunes you can select at any time. But if you stick to the easy or default tune set you can select the lowest tune when towing wich is no power and says that its 0 horse increase but its a little bit hotter than stock. Another thing you can do with H&S is you can Download custom Shift schedules if you dont like the shifting. here is some links.

Power Levels
Mini Maxx Update Instructions: 6.4L Powerstroke - H&S Performance

Shift Schedules
6.4L Powerstroke Custom Transmission Tunes - H&S Performance

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Spartan has a great 210 tow tune. I never had any issues towing my 20' enclosed. You can return to stock power without the dpf as well. Rule of thumb is to tune for power and accept the mpg's that come with it. Keep in mind with running hot tunes a built tranny should always be in the back of your mind.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't care about more power. Most of my driving will be taking the kids to and from school. If there was a way to get MPGs and no more power I would be all over it. I spent my youth driving big block fords way to fast. I got all that out of my system years ago.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
If you don't want the extra power you probably aren't going to benefit the most from running lower tunes. The 250/275 tunes seem to get the best mileage.

·
Registered
479 Posts
^^^WHS^^^

I daily drive my truck on Spartans 310 tune but sometimes switch to about a 175 to cycle. My mileage drops pretty good as soon as I load the small tune. But personally I love having that extra power on command. But to each an their own.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't mind the power, it is just that my reason for going with a tune is for MPGs. If the way to get that is power I am OK with that. My main concern with a tune is towing. Is it better to tow my heavy ass trailer stock or use a tune. It tows fine now.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I don't mind the power, it is just that my reason for going with a tune is for MPGs. If the way to get that is power I am OK with that. My main concern with a tune is towing. Is it better to tow my heavy ass trailer stock or use a tune. It tows fine now.
Why wouldn't you want to use a tow tune? Better shifts, holds the gears long, and more usable power. I tow with the 210 TP tune and it has been nothing good to me. No egt issues as well.

·
Registered
475 Posts
The newest Spartan tunes are awesome, the choices between early and later lock up give you options on converter lock up speeds. The 210 tow performance works great for heavy towing while still giving very smooth but firm shifts. I'd go that direction with the Spartan, that's what we run in our shop 2008 F450 tow rig.

Sean

·
Registered
50 Posts
Im pretty sure Most of the retailers and customers would say , the H&S Minni-Maxx is the cats meow these days, its easy, Complete and enables the dpf/deleted 6.4l to run Top Notch. Ive hauled my ~4K lb Camper Across country , Canada several times in the past 2yrs , Always using the H&S tunings. H&S's latest software release is absolutely Superb in all ways.

·
Sponsor w/out Blue name
1,503 Posts
H&S is a great tool. especially when matched with the KEM custom tuning card. great power, also great shifting an Mpgs. I've towed with the 210, 250, and 345 and they all towed very nicely. innovative tunes are nice also. I just prefer H&S W/ KEM.

lemme know if you'd like prices on anything.

I can put together a intake, exhaust, tuner package for you.

[email protected]

·
Registered
475 Posts
You can get Santa our contact info if "he" needs help getting you the correct stuff sent for your truck! We have both 1pc and 2 pc CAT/DPF pipes that are made here in the USA, the 2pc with fit down the chimney better but I like the install on the one piece better. Let use know if we can help.

Sean

·
Registered
44 Posts
The newest Spartan tunes are awesome, the choices between early and later lock up give you options on converter lock up speeds. The 210 tow performance works great for heavy towing while still giving very smooth but firm shifts. I'd go that direction with the Spartan, that's what we run in our shop 2008 F450 tow rig.

Sean
Are you still supposed to put the truck in tow/haul mode when towing with the 210 TP tune, or any tunes for that matter?

Thanks,
Chris

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.