Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 F-350
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of switching from a single 350 to a DRW 350 or 450. I run a ‘02 7.3 and want to hear fact based opinions on staying with a 7.3 or if a 6.0 that has been bullet proofed is worth it. I’m trying to stay away from the Obama EPA diesels. I’m looking at pulling 12,000-14,000lbs toy hauler or a 32’ gooseneck.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
Personally I would look real hard at a 2015 or newer truck. Once you have ridden in one you will wonder how you ever lived without one. The power and comfort is A+++

Now if you are set on a older truck then I would try to hold out for a 7.3 and forget about the 6.0. A friend purchased a 2007 F350 that had been bulletproofed, except he put a piston through the block coming down a hill pulling his 5th wheel. He had a warranty on it for a new engine but the new one wasn't bulletproofed and he sold it within a week of getting it out of the shop and went with a 2017.

Reactions: 1970something

·
Administrator
1,444 Posts
yup. 62 gas, 6.7 diesel, or 7.3 gas. all are worlds better than the 7.3 and 6.0. and you can't beat the ride.
only issue with the gas engines is fuel mileage. the 6.2 sucks. best i ever got with my 14 was 15 mpg empty.
normal was between 7 and 9 mpg.
the 6.7 diesel is a different story. F550 4X4 crew cab averages 11mpg at 25,000lbs.
the 2014 F350 supercab 4X4 is averaging 15mpg.
the 2022 F550 4X4 crew cab is averaging 14, but it only has 4,500 miles on it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have both a 95 7.3 ccdrw and a 05 6.0( bulletproofed) ecdrw. I agree that the towing capacity of drw vs srw is not much difference. I’ve towed 25k lbs with both and my work truck 12 6.2 srw. The biggest difference to me was the gearing. That older truck maxs out on the highway at 75mpg but gets 17 mpg. Both newer trucks can fly on the highway but then I’m getting 10-12 mpg.
my 6.0 with bulldog tuner is the nicest driver of the 3. Lots of power. No black smoke. No diesel smell ( after warmup) and super reliable.
My 7.3 has never given me much crap unless it sits for any length of time. Love that big motor torque. Probably a bigger turbo and better highway gears and I’d daily drive it.
so I have also driven my 05 with only outer tires on. Traction improves. Mpg improves. Breaking improves. ( also saved a dollar at the highway tolls for 4 wheels as opposed to 6 lol)
If I could swap to srw I would. Even in my most extreme towing the srw would handle it. The 2-3 mpg difference I experienced would be worth it alone. The reduced cost of tires. The wet traction and shorter breaking distance without the tires locking up. I hope those are some practical considerations for you.
I would put the modified 6.0 with a tuner up against some of the newer motors any day. The extra ( useless ) smog equipment just complicates things.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
The real advantage that the dulley has over the single is when you are towing a large trailer and there is a blowout on the trailer.

That dual wheel truck will be a lot more stable as you try to controll that trailer

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1970something

·
Registered
2002 F-350
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the input. I am thinking DRW for the stability and the 5th wheels I’m looking at are 14,000 and one is just over 15,000. my biggest concern is the downhill braking. I plan on going to Montana and also the Carolinas. I also am looking forward to parking at the far side of parking lots because it wont fit in a normal parking spot LOL

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
You definitely want the 6.0+ then for braking as the factory engine brake is really nice in them.

How much will you be towing? Since you already have a 7.3 I'd just keep that but if your towing for a living then it changes things.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts