Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great site. I currently have a 6" DR spring lift on my 03. I am thinking about going up higher. Do I have to replace the springs and shocks or are there other options? I know my drop mount for the track bar will go up to 8" any thoughts would be great.

·
Corona Killa
1,727 Posts
You could get a hanger lift for it that will get you more height without changing the springs.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are the hangars I can get a 4" lift themselves. So then I would have 10" total lift? Then I would just have to change the shocks. Hmm guess I better call Mary at truck toyz.

·
Corona Killa
1,727 Posts
The DR hangers are 4.5 and that is how what they send out for there 10.5 inch lift kits if you go that high get the crossover steering also.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
If you add the 4.5" hangers you'll need:

Front Shocks
DR Large Box Kit
DR Crossover steering
Rear Shocks
8" Rear Springs (or a OUO traction block).

Of course you will need driveline modifications as well (at a minimum extend the front and shim the carrier bearing for the rear)

A cheaper route would be to only go to a 9" lift, by adding the DR 3" hanger and shackle.....

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, DC thanks I forgot you are the man to talk to at Truck Toyz. Ill be ready to go up prolly this winter. Have to get the rims and tires picked out. Hard to find something that all these guys around here dont already have.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Yep, hard to find stuff to set your rig apart from the rest that's for sure.
Sorta why I blacked out some Welds on my 07, and am going to do something custom with some Welds on my 07. Also why I went to Dick Cepek Mud Country tires...don't see them a lot at all. But, I love the tire.

And FWIW, I ended my involvement with Truck Toyz back in April...

·
Got 'Er Did
441 Posts
does donahue racing have a website to view their products?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
If you add the 4.5" hangers you'll need:

Front Shocks
DR Large Box Kit
DR Crossover steering
Rear Shocks
8" Rear Springs (or a OUO traction block).

Of course you will need driveline modifications as well (at a minimum extend the front and shim the carrier bearing for the rear)

A cheaper route would be to only go to a 9" lift, by adding the DR 3" hanger and shackle.....

I have the same set-up as him and want to so bigger when it's time for tires. What do you save by going to the 3 inch vs 4.5 hanger? I'm only gonna go to 38's so 9 inch lift would be good.:D

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
With the 9" you can still run stock steering.....adj. trac bar is a must of course though.
So, you save the cost of the crossover steering and the large box kit.

I run 38/15.50R20s under a DR 8.5" (4" springs and 4.5" hangers......sit about 9.25" over stock):

I do run crossover and a relocated/adjustable trac bar....all part of the Dynatrac Super Duty Combo kit.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
With the 9" you can still run stock steering.....adj. trac bar is a must of course though.
So, you save the cost of the crossover steering and the large box kit.

I run 38/15.50R20s under a DR 8.5" (4" springs and 4.5" hangers......sit about 9.25" over stock):

I do run crossover and a relocated/adjustable trac bar....all part of the Dynatrac Super Duty Combo kit.
ok so if i added the hangers to my 8" springs, i would hve to do what is done in the pictures with the steering? i actually like it better, more ground clearence. on the 01's, th steering stabilizers mount underneath the tie rod. as pictured, which i thought was only for the 05's and up, they are mounted on the top of the tie rod. is this the crossover/relocater/adjustable trac bar kit you speak of?

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Yeah, once you get to 10" of suspension lift you need to run crossover steering and a relocated adjustable trac bar.

I run the Dynatrac stuff with DR stabs (actually too short to run in this setup...it works for me since I've limited my steering to keep my tires off of the springs). So, it upgrades all my steering: drag link, tie rod, knuckles, trac bar, etc.. along with giving me fixed spindles, serviceable bearings, 35 spline outers and Warn Premiums.

A few pics:

Info on the kit:
http://www.dynatrac.com/products_fordsuperdutycombokit.html

You'll notice I run a Dynatrac diff cover.....I had my buddy machine it some to clear the tie rod without contacting it.

A cheaper option would be to run the DR stuff which only upgrades the passenger side knuckle, drag link and trac bar.
But, you have to do something custom to run the stabilizers like I do...and most likely get a straight tie rod made (most likely ream out the knuckles for the TRE taper as well for the straight tie rod).

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks like I really need to go up with my truck. Every time I see a 8" & up lifted truck I look at all the suspension components and driveline parts. Thanks for the info DC your truck is a great example of what makes Lifted Superdutys so badass!!:rockwoot:

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Thanks for the info on 9"'s being ok with the stock steering. With the 6" DR components as well as a adjustable track bar. I will only need enough to clear 38" tires so this should save me some money. I have the 6" block so a 4" block and 5" rear spring should do me for the rear.

Brake lines are probibly needed with 9" lift but what about the abs wires? Is re routing them enough? Thanks again for the info!:rockwoot:

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Yeah, the ABS wires a secured to the back of the fender liner. You can re route them and get plenty of slack out of them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts