Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as stated above i really want a 6.4 but im scared of it. i know all about the 6.0 and ive studded a few and bullet proofed them. i dont know much about the 6.4. what are the common problems with them? what causes the head gaskets to go? is it the egr cooler or is it like the 6.0 and they can go at any time or is it just a matter of when. after the cab is off are the easy to stud? i know if i get one to get rid of the dpf and stuff and either block or delete the egr but if i do that do i have to worry about the gaskets? honestly thats whats keeping me from getting one is the gaskets because ive never seen one done and i dont know how hard they are to do. if i get one it will have either an h&s or spartan on it so this is another reason why im askin about all this. my 6.0 now is studded and completely done but im tired of little odds and ends going out. just had to put a new front end in it, paint needs work because previous owner never kept it up, just stuff like that. so in a nut shell what are the common problems, what needs to be done to keep it from blowing the gaskets, and do i have a better chance of runnin a tuner and keeping the stock bolts in (if driven like a normal person and only runnin it from time to time)

·
Administrator
32,965 Posts
When I was in your boat 3 yrs ago

I went with the 6.0 instead

Glad I did it back then it's a great truck ..
if I had been shopping now
with the 6.4 now having some more time under it's belt I wouldn't hesitate to buy one ,,, knowledge makes them great ..ignorance makes them broke

·
StackinChipsLikePringles
3,085 Posts
Gaskets are usually holding till about the 275hp tunes and then from then on it depends on your right foot. Headstuds arent that bad for them. If you have a little knowledge with the 6.0 then you are good

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i wouldnt call myself a machanic by any means but i can diagnose a 6.0 and fix it the first time 99.9 percent of the time. like i said though im no machanic and just lookin under the hood of these things makes me think its way over my head. i wanna run the 310 tune sometimes and the 350 or whatever it is maybe on the dyno but thats it. i can keep my right foot under control pretty easy but there are times every now and then. is there different job numbers that have a better chance at surviving than others? ive just seen to many videos of pistons burning up or head gasket problems on them that it scares me because im a college kid with a tight budget which is why i fix my own stuff most of the time. (hense me knowing how to keep my right foot in check so money stays in my pocket)

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
anyone else have input? the ones above are great just seeing about others

·
Registered
520 Posts
I am in same boat as you. Just got the nerve up to sell my very reliable and bulletproofed 6.0. There is more to doing studs on a 6.4 because of all the extras under the hood but the cabs come off easier on the 6.4s. I sold the 6.0 because I made the mistake of towing heavy with a tuned 6.4. That was all i needed. Plus the fact that my brothers truck is going on average a 100 more miles a tank than my 6.0 was made another reason for a 6.4. It's funny how your biggest worry is the head gaskets and my biggest fears of the 6.4s are the fuel systems being so delicate. An AirDog will fix that. Cold morning starts, power and fuel mileage potential, along with an overall smoother package pushed me towards hopefully owning one by the summer. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That does help! I've got an airdog off my old 6.0 but I'm not putting it on this one because I wanna get rid of it. I know the power is there on a 6.4 but my concern is how reliable are they. As in egr failure, head gaskets, and all the other stuff. I greatly appreciate your input! It's just hard to get rid of something that is already bulletproofed. Will the 165 airdog fit on the 6.4? As in pressure wise? I've got it set at 70 psi but I don't know what psi the 6.4 pump runs at

·
Registered
520 Posts
Coolers need to be gone pretty quick as they bend rods when they let go. 6.0s didn't have that reputation with blown coolers. All the tuned 6.4s I have been around have been very reliable. They blow head gaskets also but not nearly the rate the 6.0s do. Towing the things I did with a 6.0 and after 92k miles when the heads were pulled and there wasn't one spot that looked like a compromise on the gaskets, I feel confident I can keep them intact on a 6.4.

·
09 6.4
989 Posts
had a 6.0 and had to do HG's on it. sold it and got a 6.4, within a week i had the DPF off of it and a spartan tuner on it. i havent looked back one bit! i love the 6.4 and never feel like i have to worry about something breaking

·
Registered
49 Posts
6.4's are great if you do all deletes and the rest is being exact and timely with all maintenance requirements- ie- oil changes @ 5K, regularly draining water separator, fuel filter changes, use Motorcraft OEM filters for oil and fuel. I also always use a lubricity additive like PS DieselKleen grey and white bottles to keep the injection system happy with ULSD fuel. I pay close attention to where I buy fuel to prevent a bad tank full.

I liken my 6.4 to a modern, high tech version of my 7.3- and it's an International product...

And, I use synthetic oil like Mobil TDT 5W-40, and most recently Rotella T6, which I am definitely liking since my last oil change this past weekend...

Best diesel truck I've ever owned IMHO-- and I've had PSD 7.3's, Duramaxes LLY and LBZ, and Cummins 5.9 and 6.7. The 6.4 is a monster a high altitudes. I am more confident with my 6.4 than with any other TD pickup I've driven.
(Disclaimer- All comments about 6.4L PSD pertains to a fully deleted truck. I would not drive a stock 6.4 further than I could throw it...)

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea I do all that maintainance to my 6.0 now. I know all about the up keep of a truck and know to use motorcraft filters and what not. I like the comments I'm seeing! To the guy who works at spartan. I've heard that running the 310 tune has a better prob of blowing the gaskets because of back pressure. I also heard that y'all had revised that tune and are now seeing less back pressure. Is this true?

Again thanks everyone!!!!!!

·
Registered
756 Posts
I came really close to buying one before I got my 6.0...the HPFP and fuel system failures are basically what scared me away. You mentioned taking the cab off so I assume you have the means to do so. In that case you might be able to replace the pump yourself so it wouldn't be as bad.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea ive got a 2 post lift in our shop that I used to stud mine and my brothers truck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts