Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
205 Posts
Awesome!

·
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you are a pro, beautiful is as beautiful does. His truck does beautifully.

How much money are looks worth?

BTW, my truck's factory GVWR was 9,900 lb. That is to which I refer. Curb weight is a ton and a half lighter.

·
1 Slo PoMoFo
109 Posts
Dang. I am going to try for another 5-ish mpg, with 25 being the goal, once it's running again and on the cheap.

·
Registered
205 Posts
If you are a pro, beautiful is as beautiful does. His truck does beautifully.
It does!

So, looks like their basic premise was to:

Maintain heat in the engine.
Reduce drag at the rear.
Clean up the initial entry into air at the front.

Seems pretty simple. Thoughts?

With a van, I always like studies where it's something square at the back they are improving. Saw a tractor-trailer on the road during the week with a rear treatment, I took a picture while driving...I'll have to post a pic and the name of the product, as it was listed on it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I still don't see how he did it. I got a whopping 10.5 mpg this weekend towing my 8000 lb trailer for 400 miles.

No 203 stat, no grille blocks. Not sure how to make a smaller truck, lower combined weight, with a smaller engine perform as well as a freaking semi.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Ok, so they are also using the lower rolling resistance tires and the RPM's they were running were...lower than 1400RPM's, right? Is that lower than normal for that kind of purpose?

Dave, I think you're running right around 1300RPM's at 70MPH by design.

·
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1320 RPM @ 70 MPH indicated (speedo is correct)
1415 RPM @ 75 MPH
1225 RPM @ 65 MPH
1130 RPM @ 60 MPH
945 RPM @ 50 MPH (practical minimum although I can coax it lower in the right conditions.

All by design.

1320 is right on the ragged edge of lugging but if I speed up or slow down the "lug" feeling does away. On flat ground EGT is 500-600. Boost is only barely off the peg.

At 75 MPH (through TX and OK lately) the EGT was about 650 and it was making about 3 psi boost.

·
Certified Engine Destroye
533 Posts
1320 RPM @ 70 MPH indicated (speedo is correct)
1415 RPM @ 75 MPH
1225 RPM @ 65 MPH
1130 RPM @ 60 MPH
945 RPM @ 50 MPH (practical minimum although I can coax it lower in the right conditions.

All by design.

1320 is right on the ragged edge of lugging but if I speed up or slow down the "lug" feeling does away. On flat ground EGT is 500-600. Boost is only barely off the peg.

At 75 MPH (through TX and OK lately) the EGT was about 650 and it was making about 3 psi boost.
Way off topic but as I was lurking this thread I couldn't help but notice how familiar your truck is. Do you still live in Greenfield?

·
533 Posts
Small world. I just live out in Wilkinson.

·
533 Posts
Sounds like a plan.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts