Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering adding some to the tank. I was thinking of adding one of the little bottles per tank full and just want to make sure it is still considered safe. I have not revisited this topic since about 2 years ago. I had a idle knock, coincidentally, start shortly after trying some of the 2 cycle oil. I realize it was just a coincidence, but I want to make sure that this stuff is still in favor for lubricity in a 7.3. Thanks.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I buy the walmart brand by the gallon and keep 2 8oz containers in the truck for fill ups, and never had a problem yet

·
Im stroke-less
291 Posts
Sorry for the de rail but I'm wanting to start running oil in my truck. I got a 25 gallon tank so how much oil should I put in? Thanks

·
Exploding the magma
581 Posts
I run 2 cycle, about a quart a tank works for me, I am a long bed so I have the 38 gallon tank.

·
Dont know what I want
507 Posts
I'm picky about 2 cycle oil in my power equipment and wont use anything but Husqvarna mixes 50:1 so if i did this i would advise it.

·
Exploding the magma
581 Posts
I'm picky about 2 cycle oil in my power equipment and wont use anything but Husqvarna mixes 50:1 so if i did this i would advise it.
One word of caution, most small engine 2 cycle is not tc-3w and therefore not ashless. 2 cycle that is not ashless can leave deposits.

·
Registered
551 Posts
My experience after 100k miles......1oz to every gallon works great and quiets the injectors. Recently pulled the heads and the injectors. Both very impressively clean.

·
Registered
430 Posts
yep, must use ashless 2 stroke oil. I've used lots of walmart Tc-3w ashless.

·
Registered
263 Posts
This thread isn't about 2 cycle engine oil for 2 cycle engines (i.e. chainsaws etc.). It's about adding 2 cycle engine oil to our diesel engines to aid in fuel lubricity.

For that purpose, both the type of oil and ratio you recommend are totally unnecessary.

The Walmart TC-W3 stuff is great. Google "Diesel Fuel Lubricity Study", 2 cycle oil came in second *or so* only to biodiesel.

·
Exploding the magma
581 Posts
The Walmart TC-W3 stuff is great. Google "Diesel Fuel Lubricity Study", 2 cycle oil came in second *or so* only to biodiesel.[/B]
Yeah...I am going to be that guy...it actually came in 7th. But its bang per buck factor is very impressive!

In Order Of Performance:

1) 2% REG SoyPower biodiesel
HFRR 221, 415 micron improvement.
50:1 ratio of baseline fuel to 100% biodiesel
66.56 oz. of 100% biodiesel per 26 gallons of diesel fuel
Price: market value

2)Opti-Lube XPD
Multi-purpose + anti-gel
cetane improver, demulsifier
HFRR 317, 319 micron improvement.
256:1 ratio
13 oz/tank
$4.35/tank

3)FPPF RV, Bus, SUV Diesel/Gas fuel treatment
Gas and Diesel
cetane improver, emulsifier
HFRR 439, 197 micron improvement
640:1 ratio
5.2 oz/tank
$2.60/tank

4)Opti-Lube Summer Blend
Multi-purpose
demulsifier
HFRR 447, 189 micron improvement
3000:1 ratio
1.11 oz/tank
$0.68/tank

5)Opti-Lube Winter Blend
Muti-purpose + anti-gel
cetane improver
HFRR 461, 175 micron improvement
512:1 ratio
6.5 oz/tank
$3.65/tank

6)Schaeffer Diesel Treat 2000
Multi-purpose + anti-gel
cetane improver, emulsifier, bio-diesel compatible
HFRR 470, 166 micron improvement
1000:1 ratio
3.32 oz/tank
$1.87/tank

7)Super Tech Outboard 2-cycle TC-W3 engine oil
Unconventional (Not ULSD compliant, may damage 2007 or newer systems)
HFRR 474, 162 micron improvement
200:1 ratio
16.64 oz/tank
$1.09/tank

8)Stanadyne Lubricity Formula
Lubricity Only
demulsifier, 5% bio-diesel compatible, alcohol free
HFRR 479, 157 micron improvement
3.32 oz/tank
$1.00/tank

9)Amsoil Diesel Concentrate
Multi-purpose
demulsifier, bio-diesel compatible, alcohol free
HFRR 488, 148 micron improvement
640:1 ratio
5.2 oz/tank
$2.16/tank

10)Power Service Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost
Multi-purpose
Cetane improver, bio-diesel compatible, alcohol free
HFRR 575, 61 micron improvement
400:1 ratio
8.32 oz/tank
$1.58/tank

11)Howe’s Meaner Power Kleaner
Multi-purpose
Alcohol free
HFRR 586, 50 micron improvement
3.32 oz/tank
$1.36/tank

12)Stanadyne Performance Formula
Multi-purpose + anti-gel
cetane improver, demulsifier, 5% bio-diesel compatible, alcohol free
HFRR 603, 33 micron improvement
480:1 ratio
6.9 oz/tank
$4.35/tank

13)Used Motor Oil, Shell Rotella T 15w40, 5,000 miles used.
Unconventional (Not ULSD compliant, may damage systems)
HFRR 634, 2 micron improvement
200:1 ratio
16.64 oz/tank
price: market value

14)Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant
Gas or diesel
HFRR 641, 5 microns worse than baseline (statistically insignificant change)
427:1 ratio
7.8 oz/tank
$2.65/tank

15)B1000 Diesel Fuel Conditioner by Milligan Biotech
Multi-purpose, canola oil based additive
HFRR 644, 8 microns worse than baseline (statistically insignificant change)
3.32 oz/tank
$2.67/tank

16)FPPF Lubricity Plus Fuel Power
Multi-purpose + anti-gel
Emulsifier, alcohol free
HFRR 675, 39 microns worse than baseline fuel
3.32 oz/tank
$1.12/tank

17)Marvel Mystery Oil
Gas, oil and Diesel fuel additive (NOT ULSD compliant, may damage 2007 and newer systems)
HFRR 678, 42 microns worse than baseline fuel.
320:1 ratio
10.4 oz/tank
$3.22/tank

18)ValvTect Diesel Guard Heavy Duty/Marine Diesel Fuel Additive
Multi-purpose
Cetane improver, emulsifier, alcohol free
HFRR 696, 60 microns worse than baseline fuel
3.32 oz/tank
$2.38/tank

19)Primrose Power Blend 2003
Multi-purpose
Cetane boost, bio-diesel compatible, emulsifier
HFRR 711, 75 microns worse than baseline
1066:1 ratio
3.12 oz/tank
$1.39/tank

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
blend of stanadyne with cetane and wally world Super tech 2 stroke TC-W3. also just trying power service + cetane. Some mileage improvements and quieter engine.

jrc

·
oil burner
1,136 Posts
any oil 2 stroke 4 stroke atf whatever is cheapest.wich is probably the wal mart oil.its been a long time since ive seen a 2 stroke oil that wasnt tcw3,chainsaw oil is much higher quality than outboard 2stroke from wal mart

·
Exploding the magma
581 Posts
any oil 2 stroke 4 stroke atf whatever is cheapest.wich is probably the wal mart oil.its been a long time since ive seen a 2 stroke oil that wasnt tcw3,chainsaw oil is much higher quality than outboard 2stroke from wal mart
Hmm...based on what?

Chainsaw and other air cooled 2 cycle oils are typically API-TC rated oils designed for air cooled engine that run very hot. While a TCW3 rated oil are typically designed for water cooled marine engines or engines operating in low ambient temperature conditions were a complete combustion of the oil might not be possible (like a snowmobile)

Just because the 2 cycle oil claims to be smokeless does not mean it is ashless.

Low Smoke 2-Cycle Engine Oil - Lubricants

Note the reference to API-TC but not TCW3 above. Since air cooled engines typically run hotter they can burn up the ash in the oil. With our injection systems creating pressure that would spit the piston right out of the bottom of a chainsaw, it is important to use an ashless oil to avoid deposits in the engine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've used Supertech 2 stroke for years now, 1 oz per gal, good for an average of 1 mpg in my Fummins. Never had problems in any of the Big Three engines.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I gave the oil a try about 4 nights ago. After running it for awhile I'm impressed with the results, easier starts, quieter, and the idle is much smoother, it used to idle rough and hunt a little bit. Truck is a 96 with 116k

·
Lubrication Addict!!
430 Posts
I myself would would never use ATF as a diesel fuel additive... 2-Stroke TC-W3 is produced to be added to fuel to Lubricate and Made to Burn Clean.... ATF is not!

IMHO----> TC-W3 is by far a better choice...

·
Exploding the magma
581 Posts
i know a lot of people have used atf and never had any problems but i am by no means and expert on it.
Yeah I have actually run type F once in my truck. Didn't notice any big change. I know a lot of "old timers" run ATF cause they claim it cleans the injectors and they get an MPG boost. I can't say if it does any harm or good. Never seen data to support or condone using it. 2 cycle is cheap enough and I have seen data to support it helps, not as well as some other additives, but well enough.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts