Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, quick question. How's everyone's luck with the walbro gsl392 pump?

When I rebuilt my trans I decided I would add a fuel pressure gauge and found the issue as to why it looses so much power in the top end. I have a stock (new) bosch pump but it's just not keeping up with the 180/0 injectors and Jody's tunes. Nor will it go above 50 psi at idle. It seems the walbro flows more but I need something where I can get at least 60 psi at idle, my injectors idle smooth and perfect right there. Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would go with the AEM400lph from CNC Fab. Walbro will not stand behind the pump warranty if used with diesel where as AEM will. Another thing to consider would be either the 4 line feed from cnc fab or the FRX from riff raff. It helps balance the fuel flow to all corners of the heads and will kill the factory dead head.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have the frx, never liked the 4 line feed idea, it doesn't abate the deadhead issue. I looked on cnc fab's website and it doesn't say anything about using this pump with diesel. Do you have bigger injectors and use this pump?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I plan to try the AEM can't find much bad about them . walbro better carry a spare and be ready from 6 months to a year old to replace it .

thats my educated conclusion from studying them . I will be using the AEM on stock for a month or so tell I can get 238/80 injectors

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well... looks like I'll give it a shot then. I am avoiding a $500+ fuel system that I dont need for stage 1's but oreilly pumps are just not cutting it, unless I wanna change it every 8 months to a year and only be able to run my stock tune.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I do have the frx, never liked the 4 line feed idea, it doesn't abate the deadhead issue. I looked on cnc fab's website and it doesn't say anything about using this pump with diesel. Do you have bigger injectors and use this pump?
It actually does take care of dead head....and it does it better then the frx. Not trying to start an argument but corey has used that 4 line feed on 450/400s with no issues. It says right on his website it takes care of the #1 and #8 fuel starvation. I am running 205/30's and have no issues holding fuel pressure on my set up.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've never looked into mounting an hfcm didnt know of its existence until now lol. Already have the Aem pump on it's way so I'll run with that unless it wont keep up. I've been running a precision pump from oreillys with no issues other than every year to the day, it will crap out but it had a lifetime warranty. Precision, then changed their design and they are garbage now, barely holds 50 psi at idle and dumps to 20 or 30 at WOT on my stock tune. Same with autozone pumps. I just tried a "standard motor products" pump from oreillys and was surprised and excited to see a bosch pump in the box. But was immediately disappointed when I saw the overall output. It must have been a knock off. The AEM will be put in this weekend tho. Crossing my fingers it does its job as well as advertised. Everytime I fix one problem on this truck, i find another.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the AEM pump a day early and it is a bigger diameter than the knock off bosch and the original precision pump design, bigger inlet and outlet connections and heavier also. It wont fit into the stock fuel pump bracket, if I keep the isolator pad. Had to go get fittings to adapt to 3/8 barbs and all I needed was 1 foot of 3/8 fuel hose to make it a painless install but, stretching the garbage stock plastic hose will work for now. With my 180/0 injectors at idle I get 60-70 psi at WOT on Jody's 140 hp race tune, it drops to 50 psi. Definitely glad I went this route with the pump.

·
Project Shamu
2,417 Posts
Got the AEM pump a day early and it is a bigger diameter than the knock off bosch and the original precision pump design, bigger inlet and outlet connections and heavier also. It wont fit into the stock fuel pump bracket, if I keep the isolator pad. Had to go get fittings to adapt to 3/8 barbs and all I needed was 1 foot of 3/8 fuel hose to make it a painless install but, stretching the garbage stock plastic hose will work for now. With my 180/0 injectors at idle I get 60-70 psi at WOT on Jody's 140 hp race tune, it drops to 50 psi. Definitely glad I went this route with the pump.
Did you not want to try and actual Bosch stock SD pump? I got mine on Amazon for around $100, and it works great. I even bought a spare just in case, and eventually will run dual pumps.

I see your from Tulare as well, I'm in your neighboring city in Visalia :wink::grin:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ha ha, small world buddy. I'm sure we've ran into each other and never known it. What injectors are you running with that pump? Mine was labeled a bosch but i didnt feel it was genuine, unless a bosch pump can't handle 180's. I've been looking at running duals also, got some really cool mounts on ebay for $20 or so plus shipping.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ha ha, small world buddy. I'm sure we've ran into each other and never known it. What injectors are you running with that pump? Mine was labeled a bosch but i didnt feel it was genuine, unless a bosch pump can't handle 180's. I've been looking at running duals also, got some really cool mounts on ebay for $20 or so plus shipping.

180's can be questionable with a stock pump. Usually 180's and up you should be upgrading.

·
Project Shamu
2,417 Posts
I'm only running 130cc AB's, with Swamps custom tuning. But i'm sure any truck will benefit from dual pumps or a good high flow pump.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Final update for anyone that's curious about the AEM pump. The pump is a noticable upgrade. Idle fuel pressure is about 70 psi and WOT in the 140hp tune, it drops to 50 psi. The stock wiring was insufficient, so I bought a cheap harbor freight light kit and pillaged the wiring and relay since it was all "rated" for 30 amps and already had an inline fuse then ran the OEM wiring to control the relay. Only REAL issue was adapting the fittings to a 3/8 barb, took the pump to the local hydraulic control shop and had to go to NPT then to the barb. This was definitely worth the money

·
Registered
14 Posts
Final update for anyone that's curious about the AEM pump. The pump is a noticable upgrade. Idle fuel pressure is about 70 psi and WOT in the 140hp tune, it drops to 50 psi. The stock wiring was insufficient, so I bought a cheap harbor freight light kit and pillaged the wiring and relay since it was all "rated" for 30 amps and already had an inline fuse then ran the OEM wiring to control the relay. Only REAL issue was adapting the fittings to a 3/8 barb, took the pump to the local hydraulic control shop and had to go to NPT then to the barb. This was definitely worth the money
That seems like a big pressure drop. I cut down my fuel bowl spring so it is 68 psi at idle and it only drops to 60 wot with the aem and corey's 4 line feed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts