Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2004 F-350 6.0 PSD that I purchased a few years ago. It has an aftermarket Viper alarm with remote start. Last couple of weeks it was super cold, about -5 degrees outside pretty much every night. Now that it's a little warmer, I am able to start up the truck fine when I use the remote start. I can stick in the key after it's started remotely and everything is fine.

However, when I try to start the truck only with the key and not the remote start it cranks and starts fine, but as soon as I let go of the key the engine dies. I think there's something wrong somewhere in the Viper remote start system. I have a few questions I hope someone can help me with:
- How do I figure out which model number of alarm I have?
- Is there an easy way to troubleshoot the alarm system?
- Is there a way to bypass the system easily so I can confirm that it's not anything else except the alarm system?
- Any tips on what I should do to try to figure this out myself?

Thanks for any help on any of these questions. My PSN family has not let me down yet, and I hope someone can help me again!

Thanks,
Pete

·
Administrator
8,167 Posts
viper is lifetime warranty. find a dealer and take it to them.
just tell them you had it installed in another state.

·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was a little hesitant about having it checked out, even if they honored the warranty because I wasn’t sure if the problem was the remote starter or something else. I ended up trying to troubleshoot myself. I started with the lock cylinder. When I took it out, I noticed how grimy it was. I cleaned up the contacts, re-installed and was surprised to see that everything works fine now. If the problem comes back, I’ll let you know. Thanks for the advice though!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts