Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The problem did not start with the original steering column breakdown. The bearing became loose, or "Wobbly" but everyone that I checked with said you should have no problem in your steering, I delivered a trailer before the Holidays and went home to swap out the column with a 96 F-250 7.3 equipment. (I currently drive a 97 7.3.) The problem that I encountered on the way home is, I cannot shut my vehicle down...and the battery light flickers, ABS light comes and goes, inside dash passenger signal will stop working, and then start working, (when the blinker light goes out, this includes hazard lights too, the outside lights work), The ignition tumblers will not shut the vehicle off, I have to stall it and disconnect the battery or else they will drain. I boght a new ignition switch with key, and checked all connections and everything worked for 3 startups and shutdowns The 4th shut down failed. Last night I spent some time at a friends and did more trouble shooting, and when I went to hook the battery back up, it sparked and I heard some clicking. I checked the cab, and saw that the key was in the accessory position. I put in "off" hooked up battery ... and the truck started and shut down perfectly........ONE TIME. I've heard a few mechanics and "backyard ones too express that they have seen strange anomalies take place when the multi-function turn signal switch goes bad. I'm getting a knew one tomorrow as I know the switch I have makes loose or no connections upon using it for right turns. Any help will be appreciated and passed on. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Sounds more like a issue with the plastic "rod" that runs from the tumbler to the switch.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not familiar with plastic rod on tumbler. Do you think it could be in the housing. Rod not long enough. I purchased it from O'rielly. Should I go Ford OEM . Thanks 79jasper

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
In the housing.
"Ignition actuator rod."

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
don't play well w others
4,003 Posts
Switch isn't the key, it's a switch on top of the column
the key drives the rod jasper is talking about

Could be 2 problems