Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Tugboatin'
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help getting new keys on my new to me 02. It's a lariat with keyless entry and was always opened and closed with the FOB. The keys are so worn that they won't open the door or tailgate cylinder and all the copies we've made on a dupilacator won't work either. My local ford dealership said he can't go back to an 02 to cut by the VIN because it's too old. Will that be the standard respond everywhere or is it just because they are a smaller town dealership. I don't like the idea of not having a key to open the truck and rekeying it all is really too pricy.

·
Administrator
8,472 Posts
i think you are going to find that answer anywhere you go. remember, that 02 is now 14 years old. the oldest vehicle i had any luck getting keys for from the vin was 5 years old.

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
OK try wolf securities http://stores.ebay.com/wolfsecurityhardware

he can use a picture of your key to figure out what to cut

he got mine perfect it cant hurt to ask but maybe yours is to worn ?
otherwise he can get you a full set of new and he sells OEM cylinders

·
Tugboatin'
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks for the link. I emailed him. I need to get him a picture of the key and he'll see what he thinks he can do.

·
Tugboatin'
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Did your keys not open the doors because they were worn when he made you a new key? I ask because I went back and forth with him yesterday and didn't really get anywhere. He wants to make me new lock cylinders I only want a key cut to original demensions. He told me that the key being worn is not causing my lock issues which is untrue because I had 1 key made that would open the doors but was dragging on the pins. The kid cleaned up that key with another pass then it didn't work so I know what I'm talking about with my truck. I'm not against buying cylinders but I feel like it's going backwards to key a lock to a worn key and I don't want to pull my doors apart to change them. If he could reverse cut a key from a cylinder I'll pull and send him the tailgate cylinder but I don't like the idea of taking everything apart. He also wanted to charge me $18 to duplicate the key to make new locks. I would just get a key cut and mail it to him if the needs a copy of the key as is to make a cylinder.

·
Administrator
8,472 Posts
when the key gets old and wears down, it will no longer work the lock because the pins are not pushed into their proper position. 2 thousands of an inch is enough wear to make the key not work.
the problem with cutting a worn key is you do not know how worn it is to compensate for the wear.

Reactions: Jax

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
My key was ok my ignition cylinder was worn and wouldnt turn backwards to acc. So he took my key picture
And made me a cylinder and two new keys to match saving me from replacing door keys and tailgate

The reason i figured he could use a worn key pic
To cut a new key is he knows the Ford profile
And would cut accordingly

If your lock has a lot of use i would just let him win the argument. Lol

·
Tugboatin'
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My key was ok my ignition cylinder was worn and wouldnt turn backwards to acc. So he took my key picture
And made me a cylinder and two new keys to match saving me from replacing door keys and tailgate

The reason i figured he could use a worn key pic
To cut a new key is he knows the Ford profile
And would cut accordingly

If your lock has a lot of use i would just let him win the argument. Lol

I hope he gives me a phone number and we can just figure it out from there. How hard was it to change the ignition lock? Like I said before if he wants to cut me a key by matching it to the tailgate cylinder I'll gladly pull it and send it to him. I'd entertain changing the ignition cylinder if I didn't have to go into my doors.

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
the ignition swap is a few minutes and plenty of how to videos on that

never thought about using the tailgate as a sample

·
Tugboatin'
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I talked to a local locksmith who was very helpful. He wants me to lubricate and exercise the tumblers with a dry lubricant and see if that gets me anywhere. He thinks there's a good chance the tumblers are sticky. If that doesn't work he can get vin patterns from an aftermarket company who buys them when the dealerships phase out older vehicles. He seemed to think it will run me about $50 and can put the travel time on AAA as a "lockout"

·
Tugboatin'
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He thinks the pins are lifting for the high spots of the key and not dropping all the way. I don't consider 5 minutes with a squirt bottle a lot of work. I live in a rural area so anything that's not normal like this requires a little bit of travel.

·
Tugboatin'
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got everything squared away. Some fogging oil in the tumblers and all 3 locks are working great. The pins were stuck for sure.

·
Administrator
8,281 Posts
What kind of oil did you use to lube the locks.

·
Tugboatin'
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The first time I used superlube dry film but when it dried the pins were still sticky. I did them again with crc engine stor (fogging oil) since it leaves a film and it a wet lube.

FYI fogging oil is great for the hood lifter in the latch when it gets sticky and won't lift the hood after you pull the cable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts