Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1996 7.3 shakes and rattles while I am idling in gear only (forward or reverse) and also when I’m slowing down to come to a stop it shakes a ton right before I come to a complete stop and after I let off the brakes, the truck had a bad torque converter and I thought this was the reason for the shaking, however after replacing it, everything else was fixed but it did not get rid of the shake. Truck runs perfect with normal driving on highways, I only notice this when slowing way down right before stopping or putting the truck in gear and idling forward or back. The best way I can explain it is a surging vibration in the whole truck, a rattling in the dash, the mirrors shake, the floor vibrates, etc

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Itâ€s not giving me any codes, I will try the cylinder test and see how that goes

How many miles on this ? How old or new are the injectors ? What’s your fuel pressure?

My 1997 will do weird stuff but I chalk it up to being old and constantly being at max gross vehicle weight .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It’s at about 165,000, still has stock injectors as far as I know( I’m second owner)

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
See what it comes up as far as a cylinder contribution test . Try to perform the test when the engine would normally have the issues you describe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Im not sure how conclusive the contribution test is but it wont hurt to try it ad see what happens.

I know mine idles a little rougher when i get lower in the tank. It could be that it is sucking up a little bit of air.

Take my input with a grain of salt if you would because I am still learning an awful lot about these trucks.

You can also check out the fuel pressure regulator screen (FPR) on the side if the fuel bowl that could also be clogged. Here’s a picture of mine.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts