Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello.
i can't seem to find a similar thread, so...
i have a 1995 f250 7.3L p/s with an automatic e4OD. it runs okay but does have a pretty heavy diesel leak from what i figure is the fuel pump - maybe the bowl and related lines...but... here lately, after going about 8 miles down the highway, it has started to vibrate pretty heavily when i accelerate past 60mph. i let off the accelerator and it stops vibrating. it is sort of like i'm going down a very rough gravel road. it has about 300k miles on it. does anybody know if this may be due to the diesel leak getting so bad it's sucking in air or any other ideas?
it's not smoking... it's sorta (but not exactly) feels and acts like the crankshaft position sensor is going out.
after i stop and park for 30m to an hour, it goes away until i go back down the highway for another 8 miles and bla bla...
it doesn't do it at speeds under 50mph - in town speeds - just highway speeds.
i checked the u joints and they look ok. today i was going down the road and same thing happened but it slowed down and wouldn't go over about 40mph even while pressing down on the accelerator
i'm almost positive that it is a motor problem. maybe a sensor or something. i know it's not a problem with a bearing or u-joints because even stopping at a stoplight after this starts, the motor is very rough running. also, as i drive down the highway, it will start to vibrate/shimmy at the motor and as it is doing so, i can floor the accelerator pedal and it will increase the vibration and slow down. when i sometimes barely get to where i'm going, it seems to cure itself for a moment except a couple days ago after sitting for a couple hours, it started very rough and smoothed out after a couple cranks and minutes....then 5 miles down the road it started vibrated again.
it is almost as it is not firing on all sensors and i think it might be fuel starved. i'm not a master mechanic, but i do tinker and this is not anything like i've ever experienced. i have an extra CPS and i suppose i could eliminate that, but it's not really acting like it has before when it needed a CPS, it keeps running and just vibrates a lot.
-thanks

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
Is this truck 4wd or 2wd? And if it slowed down and wouldn't speed up I would look into that fuel leak and get it fixed.. Sounds to me like it's starving for fuel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for replying!
it's 2wd... up there, i meant it acts like it's not firing on all cylinders. yesterday, it was a little cold and i forgot to plug in the heater overnight. i cranked it up and it barely made it 3 miles. the last thousand feet or so it barely stayed running and it shook a lot. then a couple hrs later, i got back in and made it back home ok. so...it does leak quite a bit... do you think it has gotten to the point it's now getting air in the fuel lines and that's making it do this? i've never measured the leak amount, but it leaks pretty much in a steady stream - just past dripping a lot. and last time i checked, it gets around 11mpg when it used to get 17+/-

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh yea... do you or anybody know of a scanner for the laptop that will read this 1995 p/s ? i can't seem to find any that will read a '95

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
AE makes the laptop scanners I believe it works on a 95. I'd fix your fuel leak and see what happens after that. That's a lot of fuel your leaking for that big of a mileage drop. Check to see if fuel filter housing is cracked or has pin hole.. It's starving for fuel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts