Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up some vht spray on tint today to do my taillights. I preped and sprayed nice light coats. 1 tail light turned out perfect and the other looked blotchy and had craks in it... Wet sanded all back down using 400, 1000, 2000, and then hit it with some rubbing compound. Recleaned it and sprayed again now the blotchyness is gone but its still cracking.. Looks like the paint is shrinking causing it to crack... any ideas? i was gonna give it a day to cure and wet sand with 2000 only and try to recoat again?

·
Registered
389 Posts
what did you clean it with my friend had the same problem he started over with brake cleaner and it fixed the problem

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
It is reacting with whatever you are cleaning them with. There must have been some residue on the one that is cracking.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya i figured it was a reaction but found it really strange that the cracks are in the exact same spot each time... i could see it the first time but after all the prep work the second time i figured i would have cleared it up. after the second prep i inspected them and could not even find a hair line crack any ware to explane it... after they are fully cured ill re sand with the 2000 and hit them with some brake clean..and hopefully i can hit them with a coat or 2 of clear after that... glad i happened to have a spare set of tail lights to use in the mean time...

i was going to hit my front signal lights as well but maby ill wait and see what happens... gotta buff and clean the front lights anyway getting pretty dull.... i got some mothers plastic cleaner and a power ball so hopefully that works

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
ya i figured it was a reaction but found it really strange that the cracks are in the exact same spot each time... i could see it the first time but after all the prep work the second time i figured i would have cleared it up. after the second prep i inspected them and could not even find a hair line crack any ware to explane it... after they are fully cured ill re sand with the 2000 and hit them with some brake clean..and hopefully i can hit them with a coat or 2 of clear after that... glad i happened to have a spare set of tail lights to use in the mean time...

i was going to hit my front signal lights as well but maby ill wait and see what happens... gotta buff and clean the front lights anyway getting pretty dull.... i got some mothers plastic cleaner and a power ball so hopefully that works
auto zone makes a kit for headlights to clean them and you can hook to up to a cordless drill!!!

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
Heres mine sanded and tinted.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
looks like im going to have to buy a new tail light... looks like the one that turned out good has been replaced at some point. the one i redid turned out even worse. The spots where i couldent get the old coating off tuned out like ####...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts