Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a few guys on here bashing VHT Nightshades and saying that they can't get it to come off and that it ruined their lights. I am here to tell you the proper way to prep, spray, and finish using VHT. I will also tell you how to remove VHT very easily if you don't like the outcome.

Prep:

1. Make sure that your lenses are clean and free of dirt/debris. This is best achieved by washing with soap and warm water. Then doing a final wipe down with some wax and grease remover.

2. After your lenses are clean you will want to wet sand with a 1000 grit wet sand paper. Make sure to use a good quality paper that won't clog up easily. To make wet sanding easier you can add a dab of soap in the water to make it slide better. When you are done wet sanding the whole lens surface should have a dull look with even sand scratches and no shiny splotches. After you get done with sanding go ahead and rewash the lenses and use wax and grease remover on the lights again.

3. Tape off the back of the lights to make sure that overspray doesn't get inside the housing. You may also choose to tape over the clear section for your reverse lights or if you are doing headlights for the "angry eyes" style you will tape off the styling that you want at this time. After you have everything taped off good go ahead and wipe down for a final time with wax and grease remover.

Paint:

1. Make sure that your surface is clean and dry. Make sure that you are spraying in a ventilated area and somewhere that doesn't have a ton of dust or dirt that can get into your paint. If you need to you can use the large sheets of static cling wrap to make shift a booth. Shake your can of VHT Nightshades very well for 1 minute (really the whole minute). Make a test spray on a piece of paper/cardboard to make sure that its spraying even out of the can.

2. Now that you are completely ready to spray your lenses, the first thing you want to do is go around the outside edges first. Hold the can 5-7 inches away from the lenses and spray a nice even coat to the outside edge of the lens. After spraying the outside edge of the lens you will want to go ahead and spray your first coat over the lens surface. Once again make sure that you are maintaining a 5-7 inch distance from the lens and don't try to spray too heavy. A nice even coat is what you want. The first coat will look a little splotchy, don't worry, its supposed to.

3. Wait 10 minutes for tack between coats. Depending on how light or dark you want to go is how many coats you will add. WARNING: DO NOT ADD OVER 4 COATS! YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SEE LIGHT THROUGH THE LENSES AFTER 4. If you want a light smoked look 2 coats is for you. If you want dark smoked 3 coats. If you want black 4 coats.

4. Some people will tell you to let each coat dry and wet sand each coat. You can absolutely do this, but in my honest opinion I don't think it's necessary. I believe that you can achieve a very smooth glossy look without wet sanding between coats. So with this being said, if you choose to wet sand between coats, basically 1000 grit wet sand after each coat dries until it has uniform sand scratches. Then wax and degrease. Spray your next coat. If you don't choose to wet sand between coats then go ahead and wait your 10 to 12 minutes for tack time between coats and spray your other coat. MAKE SURE THAT YOU'RE GETTING GOOD EVEN COVERAGE ON YOUR EDGES AND THROUGHOUT THE LENS. You don't want any light or dark spots in your paint that are very visible at this point as they will show in the finished product.

5. Let dry for 24 hours. I know a bunch of us are impatient as hell when it comes to these things. Trust me, don't rush it! After the paint has had 24 hours to cure, go ahead and get your 1000 grit wet sand paper and wet sand all of the orange peel out of the paint. Once you have all the orange peel out of your paint by wet sanding you will want to wash the lenses again, then use a wax and grease remover.

6. Now you have your lenses that are painted and wet sanded. They will look very dull at this point. So now you need to buff them. I recommend a small (5-6"), low rpm buffer/polisher that you can buy at Wal-Mart or your local auto parts store for around 20.00. But you can hand polish (just takes a lot longer). So you will want to start with a polish, not a compound. Get a good quality polish- Mothers, 3M, Griot's, etc. For those hand buffing a normal microfiber cloth will work just fine. For those polishing with a buffer you will want to use a foam finishing pad or a microfiber pull over bonnet.

7. For those of you hand buffing. This is a long and tiresome process, but just keep rubbing. You will eventually polish them out to a show quality shine with enough elbow grease. Make sure that you keep a relatively clean cloth to polish with and a dry one to wipe off the polish to check your progress.

8. For those of you polishing with a buffer/polisher. Use a low speed setting and BE CAREFUL AROUND THE EDGES as it will be easier to buff through the paint on the edges. But just buff the lens until it has the showroom shine.

YOU ARE FINISHED AND SHOULD HAVE AN AWESOME OUTCOME!

Okay now for those that want to remove it or messed up. First things first, don't flip out, this is an easy fix. To remove VHT Nightshades, whether freshly sprayed or been on for years you will need a couple aerosol cans of brake parts cleaner. Brake parts cleaner will do no harm to the lenses, I promise. Spray the brake parts cleaner directly on the painted lens and you should see the VHT start rolling off. You will need to take a rag and soak it with brake parts cleaner and wipe all the stuck on paint off the lens (trust me it will come off with very little elbow grease). After you have all the paint off you may still see your sand scratches. If this is the case, wash the lens to get the brake parts cleaner off. Then use a wax and grease remover to get all residue off the lens. Now take some paint polish- Mothers, Meguiars, 3M, Etc. and just buff your lens back to new (and trust me it will buff out a lot easier than you think). And then you can even apply a coat of wax to help seal it if you don't want to repaint them!

If you have any questions feel free to post on here or pm me and I will get back to you as quickly as possible.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts