Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
loud and long
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you have your vgt solenoid on a switch could this work as an exhaust brake when the trans downshifts you know like when your in tow/haul? i know banks is doing this on duraslacks but not to say its exactly the same but same concept

·
loud and long
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
why wont this work. just curious

·
Who is Obama?
1,779 Posts
because the vgt isn't anything like an exhaust brake. What makes you think that doing anything to the turbine aspect ratio would slow the truck down?

·
Village Idiot
1,054 Posts
Obviously you've never experimented with turbo braking through custom tuning. I have an DIP tow tune with turbo braking and it works very well when loaded or towing heavy but is barely noticeable when empty. I've used Spartan tunes with it as well. With this programming the turbo creates enough back pressure to create 15+ lbs of boost.

Do a little research. The principle of an exhaust brake is that it creates a blockage in the system thus causing exhaust back pressure which in turn adds to the effectiveness of compression braking. The VGT turbo is far more than capable of creating that obstruction/back pressure.

·
loud and long
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the response. i didnt think it was going to work by changing the pitch of the vaines but it was worth asking. im trying to get rid of my edge so i can get sct and get a tune for exhaust brakingand plus i think sct is just a better product. as far as sct goes is there trans control a lot better than edge?

·
Village Idiot
1,054 Posts
Eric @ Innovative does an excellent job with the trans tuning. Some of his tunes can hit a little hard on certain trucks but the end user can adjust that. There is no comparison between the Edge products and good custom tuning except for the trick gauges that Edge has built in.

·
loud and long
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
with the tow tune does the exhaust braking only come on when you have it in tow/haul or is it active all the time you have that tune on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts