Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking to change the turbo and sticks on my truck i still want to tow and have a dd im looking at the non vgt but dont know much about sticks and turbo comb thanks

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
How much weight do you tow? The powermax and a set of 155-175 injectors will be a good towing and DD driving combo.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
65mm turbine wheel with a diverter should spool quick. talk to shawn ellerton about it. he is running that on his tow truck and loves it. as far as sticks, keep them small if you wanna tow. i prefer stock for towing honestly.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is that a vgt or non kinda wanna get away from vgt just getting tired of the whistle all the time i dont tow all the time just when i do i dont want egts to be threw the roof

·
i like to party
1,415 Posts
could be vgt or non vgt

just making sure you have the right compressor/turbine/housing combination is right for the 6.0 for quick spoolup. some are saying a 64/71/70 with a diverter valve spools great with bigger injectors, but its still going to be too laggy IMO for towing that kind of weight.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Like matt said, shawn has a 62/65/80 with the diverter as the high pressure charger on his tow truck. Even a 64/71/70 with the diverter will still be a bit laggy for towing i think, but maybe not IDK. You want a smaller wheel so it'll spin faster. With a 62mm...you'll want a turbo like shawn has. With a 64mm i think you'll want a 68 wheel, nothing bigger for real quick spool up. Tyler has a 64/68/80 with the diverter and it spools pretty quick i guess. I've been wanting to change some stuff on my turbo to make it spool quicker...and i think what i gotta do is get rid of the 71 wheel and go for a 68. Might have a turbo spec'd out. I wanna stay with a 64...and i'm gonna see about doing a 64/68/80 with billet wheel and a ceramic coated housing.

·
i like to party
1,415 Posts
Exactly what 6lstrokin said, If I go non vgt its going to be a 64/68/80, I dont tow heavy so it wont be too big of a factor with being a little laggy but it should spool up just fine with a diverter valve. I dont have one but when do people start making boost with the powermax? I think a 62/65/80 with a diverter would be a quick spooling setup with a 155cc injector maybe even 175's.

6l strokin do you have a diverter valve setup yet?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Exactly what 6lstrokin said, If I go non vgt its going to be a 64/68/80, I dont tow heavy so it wont be too big of a factor with being a little laggy but it should spool up just fine with a diverter valve. I dont have one but when do people start making boost with the powermax? I think a 62/65/80 with a diverter would be a quick spooling setup with a 155cc injector maybe even 175's.

6l strokin do you have a diverter valve setup yet?
Not yet. If my housing was divided...there would already be one on it. And since it i need a divided housing i'm thinking about changing more stuff with it. I just might as well get a whole nother turbo tho. Because once i get the ceramic housing, a 68mm turbine wheel, 64mm billet compressor wheel and the diverter valve....it probable would've been easier to just get a whole new turbo with them options. Might try II and see what they can do about a 64/68/80 with billet wheels and ceramic coated housing.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Like matt said, shawn has a 62/65/80 with the diverter as the high pressure charger on his tow truck. Even a 64/71/70 with the diverter will still be a bit laggy for towing i think, but maybe not IDK. You want a smaller wheel so it'll spin faster. With a 62mm...you'll want a turbo like shawn has. With a 64mm i think you'll want a 68 wheel, nothing bigger for real quick spool up. Tyler has a 64/68/80 with the diverter and it spools pretty quick i guess. I've been wanting to change some stuff on my turbo to make it spool quicker...and i think what i gotta do is get rid of the 71 wheel and go for a 68. Might have a turbo spec'd out. I wanna stay with a 64...and i'm gonna see about doing a 64/68/80 with billet wheel and a ceramic coated housing.
lol tyler has a 65mm turbine wheel. if you want to tow with a non vgt you are going to want to stick to a 65mm wheel.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
haha for some reason i thought you said his had a 68mm wheel....LOL damn, my bad

·
i like to party
1,415 Posts
will the 65mm wheel vs the 68mm wheel make that big of a difference towing light?

I wish I had the cash to pick up your turbo

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
will the 65mm wheel vs the 68mm wheel make that big of a difference towing light?

I wish I had the cash to pick up your turbo
i dont know that one. i have never used a 68mm wheel but its supposed to light nice and flow well. what size charger are you looking for.
i will probably be selling my polished 64/71/70 soon but i dont recommend it for towing.

·
i like to party
1,415 Posts
I'd be interested to know, anyone care to test it? LOL

I wish I had the cash thats the turbo I really want to run with 190's, but im not sure I want to give up being able to tow just yet. That and Im not exactly climbing the money tree right now LOL

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
i dont know that one. i have never used a 68mm wheel but its supposed to light nice and flow well. what size charger are you looking for.
i will probably be selling my polished 64/71/70 soon but i dont recommend it for towing.
you've got the diverter valve on it right matt? When does yours start making boost at? Does yours have a billet compressor wheel also?

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I'd be interested to know, anyone care to test it? LOL

I wish I had the cash thats the turbo I really want to run with 190's, but im not sure I want to give up being able to tow just yet. That and Im not exactly climbing the money tree right now LOL
donzi says his spools quick with the 68. im sure its slower than a 65 but cummins guys say its awesome. if my turbo guys carried a 68 i would have tried it a long time ago lol.
you've got the diverter valve on it right matt? When does yours start making boost at? Does yours have a billet compressor wheel also?
i honestly dont know lol. its running like crap because im too lazy to pull it apart and swap nozzles and 2 spool valves. my nozzles are way to small and it wont fuel hard without a ton of fuel commanded. i have nozzles sitting here on my bench but with my race truck i have no time. im actually taking a week or two off from working on them cause i have too many projects in the shop. i actually think im going to tear it down and do twins on the orange truck. im trying to choose between two setup lol.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was told by a shop around where i live that you can get a holeshot turbo that will work on the 6.0 any input on that would be good sory it took so long to get back i work third shift sleep a good part of the day

·
Banned
1,378 Posts
Matt your the crazy guy lol.what did you run over the 66 ? S480 iirc? How did you like it and what injectors? Sorry for the derail op but non vgt ftmfw

·
Maroon truck guy
427 Posts
.what did you run over the 66 ? S480 iirc? How did you like it and what injectors? Sorry for the derail op but non vgt ftmfw
Thats what i have in the works :evil
But yes non vgt for the win indeed

1 - 20 of 23 Posts