Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal. I have a 2003 F350 with the 6.0. Bone stock as far as performance mods other than I just installed a brand new Powermax Turbo recently. Problem I'm having is that the VGT duty cycle only goes from 60 at idle to 39 at wide open throttle. I'm reading this with a Scangauge 2 while driving. I know the duty cycle should be about 85 at idle. The truck runs like an absolute dog off the line. Anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,327 Posts
The duty cycle can range from 60-85 at idle. It does not have to be at 85.

·
Administrator
32,966 Posts
A stock 6.0 is a Dog off the line IMHO
I would go for some custom tunes for your new setup

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So my turbo never getting much above 15lbs of boost is normal?

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,327 Posts
Nobody said it was. Information like that is always helpful to post up .....

Have you checked for codes?
Any intake or exhaust leaks?
Filterminder shows good?
Might want to pull the MAP and the EBP sensors (check the connections first). Clean them and also clean the MAP hose and EBP tube.
Do you have a way to read oil and coolent temps?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No codes. I haven't been able to find any leaks exhaust or intake. Just changed the EBP sensor. Didn't clean the tube going to it though. I looked down through it and it appeared to be clean. Filter minder is good. The EOT to ECT never gets much above 12 degrees of split. I know its getting close to needing replaced, but I have to get the money first. Just cleaned the intake tube when I changed the turbo about 2 months ago. There is oil in the tube, but not alot. Also cleaned the sensor at the same time. Problem has existed since changing the turbo. Other things that I have done since this started includes: New stock fuel pump, upgraded fuel press spring and gaskets, 6.4 banjo bolts, ICP sensor, and new fuel filters. And yes they are motorcraft. Hopefully that helps.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,327 Posts
Did you re-use the VGT solenoid? If so, it might be bad - they get dirty easily and that can trash them (but your reading at idle is not a tell-tale sign of a problem with it).

Might want to check the MAP sensor and hose. After that, I am at a loss.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Powermax came with a new VGT solenoid. Unless that was bad from the factory I'm not sure. Right now I'm at a loss myself. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
65 Posts
U have to get custom tunes or u will never be able to push it. Its got a bigger comp wheel in it so it needs a little more fuel to spin it

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I think I might have found the problem with my truck. Friend suggested that the cat might be clogged up causing my turbo not to spool up all the way. So I took off the exhaust and punched all the crap out of the CAT. I also put on a new 4 in exhaust from the turbo back. Well low and behold the truck runs 10x better and you can actually hear the turbo spool up. Well thanks to everyone who tried to help. Figured I would post this in case it helps someone else out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts