Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The original $5 foot long
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started working on my exhaust yesterday and drove my truck on/off some car ramps several times. Today when I drove onto them, I put it in 4wd so I wouldnt spin on the grass and it seemed to take alot of throttle to go anywhere. I finished my exhaust and went to drive it and it revs and the turbo spools like its going but its not! It acts like Im power braking it BUT the back tires dont spin. It seems to go fine in reverse though....What is it!?!? The trans seemed to shift perfect yesterday and all too....

·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no not yet, tomorrow. Im talking like it takes forever to go, doesnt even spin the tires on gravel! I havent tried going down the road though because its obvious somethings wrong.

·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah thats it. Takes off in reverse just fine, but not forward. Does it have to have a certain amount of back pressure on the exhaust? I took of the cat and muffle and have it coming out in front of my rear tire. But I drove it up on the ramps no problem yesterday without the exhaust on at all.

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
No.

I have always been told the turbo creates all the needed backpressure.

did you maybe hit or pinch one of the wires going to the trans on the right side of the trans?

·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll check and see if anything might have been cut....Im so bummed now, I sure hope its not something big, I JUST BOUGHT IT!

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
I'll check and see if anything might have been cut....Im so bummed now, I sure hope its not something big, I JUST BOUGHT IT!
Oh I know the feeling.

When I first got my truck a month later the trans went out. it was shifting hard that whole month. then one day it went into limp mode and the OD light started flashing.

Best thing to do is to have it hooked up to a scanner. even if the CEL or OD light isnt on or flashing doesnt mean that a code isnt stored. Those are soft codes.

·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Havent found any wires cut or loose plugs or anything. Sucks! It drove fine last night without exhaust then all of a sudden after I have the new exhaust on, it wont go. I know they prolly dont have anything to do with each other but still looks like a coincidence. So now what do I do??? I did do some driving and in D its taking off in 3rd, but manually it will do 2nd but 1st seems like its 3rd also :-(

·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What should I do next guys? The od light flashes too. Can I buy a code reader and do that my self? The nearest tranny shop is like 50 miles away from me and I dont have a trailer and really dont want to drive it like this.

·
Harry Callahan
991 Posts
The exhaust has NOTHING to do with the transmission. Unless you fuzzed up the wiring to the trans it is a totally separate coincidence. Tripple check your wiring. The od light could mean many things, could be a solenoid pack or worse.

·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I found some wires that I musta hit with the sawzall! The go from behind a little heat shield on the passenger side on the trans over to the drivers side. So I soldered them all back together and it takes off in first now but in D it doesnt shift, but it will shift manually all the way through now.

·
Harry Callahan
991 Posts
Re-check your wiring repair job, clear the codes and check the fuses. Does the od light still flash?

·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did that and it still doesnt shift out of first when Im in D. The light doesnt flash now either.

Anyone know what that wire harness would be called? Maybe I should buy a new one and eleminate that as maybe my wiring job wasnt good. Its the one that goes from behind the heat sheild on the passenger side of the trans over the top and plugs into another harness on the drivers side.

·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok, went through the wiring again one more time and redid all my joints again and she is now good to go!!!! yayyyyyyyy!!! Thanks for the help again guys. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts