Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my annual NY to FL trip and I am very impressed with my fuel mileage. All these tanks are hand calculated and filled to where diesel fills the neck. I have owned this truck for 10 years and just turned 100k and am very familiar with its fuel mileage. Since changing to the php chip, with the 80DD, I have gained a solid 1-1.5 mpg on the highway.
526 miles -19.9 mpg
406.8 miles - 18.2 mpg
309.1 miles - 19.6 mpg
375.3 miles - 18 mpg
375.7 miles - 19.9 mpg
307.7 miles - 21.3 mpg - THIS IS A PERSONAL BEST. This tank is always the highest on the trip, but this was a full mpg higher than my average for this leg of the trip.

I mostly drove at 70-72 mph. The 21.3 tank was when I was driving back home in NJ, where traffic increased and speed was reduced to 65.
This is all with the stock tire size. I used to get an occassional 19. These fairly consistent higher 19s and occassional 20+ is down right fantastic to me. Granted, on I-95 those speeds are considered slow, but I don't care. I love the mileage.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wow.......that is impressive. I have yet to reach 14 mpg on my truck with the PHP chip. In its defense I really haven't been on a road trip to see what it will do, but just driving around I am just under 14. I usually drive in the 80DD setting and try to keep my foot off of the pedal as much as possible. Also the engine only has about 3000 miles on a rebuild so I am hoping that as I get more miles on it, it will get better. I am sure that the cold weather has a lot to do with it also but we have had pretty mild winter here this year.

I am thinking now that my big mistake was to install the budget stage 2 rebuilt injectors. I am really thinking that they hurt more than help on the economy side of this. I pull trailers a lot and wanted that little extra power.

I would really be happy with 17 to 18 but really don't see that happening. We'll see.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think my manual trans helps on those straight highway runs. But, the 80DD gives me great highway mileage. Plus the power is smooth and the motor is only a touch louder than stock. It is barely even noticeable. For someone who is not looking for something wild, but a nice punch with good economy, it is tough to beat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts