Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 7.3 has just had the glowplugs replaced and will start at about 45 degrees after 10+ glowplug cycles Will not start under any lower of a temperature. Even at about 70 degrees outside still takes 2 cycles to start. Cant figure this out... please help.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
how old is the relay? also what brand glowplugs? have you checked the UVCH?
Id take the vavle covers back off and check the vc gaskets as well as the harnesses. If you have a burnt wire going to a glow plug, your not getting power to that plug making it that much harder to start.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have similar issues, but not quite as bad, I have new GP's UVCH and gaskets, new plugs on the outside, new relay, new batt's and cables. I am starting to thing it is time for some new sticks.:D Now if I can just get someone to donate themLOL

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Dad had the GP, GPR and UVCWH replaced to the tune of $600. Below 45 degrees the truck would take forever to start. The relay was bad. Not sure if they messed dad over or if the relay went out immediately.

·
Registered
570 Posts
From my experience(granted most of it is with old mercedes and detroit diesels, this is my first powerstroke) glowplugs themselves rarely go bad. I had a 71' mercedes diesel that I inherited from my greatgrandfather that had 700000 on the clock when I sold it a few weeks ago. The glowplugs were never changed by me(350k) and I'm pretty sure he never changed them either. But I am having the same problem with my 96 right now. Just ordered a new relay so I will let y'all know if that cured the problem when it comes in.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I work on 7.3 all the time and if they have a hard time startin at 70 its not the glow plugs. You need to look at the heui system. Either not enough pressure or to much when your cranking.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts