Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what the deal is with these? What they do, and are they worth paying the extra 30 bucks for?

·
Registered
757 Posts
:whs:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I am not 100% on a car but on home ac ( i have done for 11 years) It basicly adjust for the amount of expansion in freon when it warms and makes your system more efficient i would think it might lessen the air from getting warmer when the truck is not moving.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was just looking around the InterWeb some, seems like it compensates for when the truck's idling or sitting still.

I know there's some inefficiency when idling/parked etc, but I'm not sure if this will compensate for the compressor not spinning as fast, or the condensor not cooling as good, just wondering if anyone knew more about it, or tried it and noticed a difference?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Never tried it but i would think it would help.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have one in my 93 IDI that is converted to r134. They do help in really hot weather. If you buy one get the one for 105+

They work by switching to a smaller orifice when the pressure in the system rises.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts

·
THE ONE AND ONLY!
2,736 Posts
The SMART VOV is one of the best things you can do to your AC system if you are in a HOT Climate.

I have probably installed at least 10 in my personal and Friends cars/trucks...all saw improvement :)

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
I had posted this in another thread but here it is again.

The Smart VOV (variable orifice valve) uses system pressure and refrigerant flow to move a metering piston relative to a fixed opening in the sleeve. The piston movement is resisted by an attached spring.

When idling at high ambient temperatures, the piston shifts to a smaller metering area similar to a TXV. This compensates for the reduced compressor output and increases the cooling performance. The Smart VOV also has a unique re-open feature which reduces compressor pressure for severe idle conditions.

At highway speeds, the Smart VOV operates on a large orifice. The net result is better performance than a TXV without the complexity or reliability concerns.

Unlike a TXV, which has constantly moving parts and small internal clearances, the Smart VOV is stationary during most operating conditions and has large internal clearances. Its low friction floating design insures smooth operation and extremely long life.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts