1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
16 Posts
i dont haul 10 or more ppl ever but i have have a blow out on the left rear goin around 40 or so.....drive em sideways! just say no to dual wheels on vans...

·
Registered
11 Posts
probably why my 03 EB is only set up as a 12 passenger. doesn't even have the mounts under the body for the last row

·
STILL LEARNING
18,323 Posts
If they were really that unsafe, the government would of put a ban on the vans. And you need a CDL to drive one of those 15 passenger vans, not the average soccer mom

·
Well Hung Member
635 Posts
you do not need a cdl to drive a 15 passenger van

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
a private citizen can drive a 15 pass in MN if they are not using for business/church. if over 12 pass. for business/church they need a bus endorsment. that is in MN. I drive the same length van as a 15 pass but with all my electrical tools/supplies in it, I weighed it once @ 8k. It can be squirrely- I can see the whiplash effect the longer length has. And the wheel base on the ext ford vans are the same as the regular length vans, but the chevy's stretch their wb's out, I wonder if it would change this dynamic?

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's only 20" longer in the rear, it's not that much.

Remember the old 1970-1980 Dodge Extended vans? They had like a 4 to 6 foot extended model(s). I remember seeing many at NASA, they would carry so many people. There was like well over 5 foot in the rear of the back wheels.

I have the 27 Gallon Transferflow Aft Aux Fuel Tank, it's between the spare tire and the rear end. When it has fuel in it it helps add weight in the rear and makes good traction . When I fill all 62 gallons the van feels great.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
It's only 20" longer in the rear, it's not that much.
but, like I said the chevys do extend their wheelbase- I wonder how much that would change the dynamic? and you can see in the video that the rollover was "delayed" like it was whiplash effect. I know what you mean by the Dodge vans but I don't think they are quite as long as what your saying, and I have a feeling that it would display similar or worse results in the same test.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
I think the bottom line here is that people driving these vans need to take into account that they are driving vehicles with a high center of gravity and that the more people you add to that the more of a risk of a roll over in a panic mode maneuver.

·
Registered
670 Posts
:whs: :whs:

I have an E350 "supervan" workvan.

They dont handle that well... because thats not what they're made to do.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Right on. I have an E-350 14' cube van that handles just like............a van. It is top heavy and doesn't corner like a ferrari. Go figure. If I get it sideways I know the outcome already. It will be on it's side or upside down. That is why I drive it like a van.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
But when a tire blows, does it really matter if you're 'driving it like a van'?
Doing 35 or 40 mph not messing around and you loose a tire. Whatever is going to happen, is going to happen...
???

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
No your right there Jim. I have blown an inside rear tire on my van before. The reason I didn't lose control is because I was lucky enough to have another tire there to keep er top side up. Of course if you don't maintain your vehicle and drive it till the tires fall off that is the end result you will get. In my case the tire shop I took it to for inspection apparently didn't check the inside tires.

·
Registered
300 Posts
How is it any different than hauling a camper on a Pickup? One would think it might even be worse with the pickup. I haul a big camper on my truck.... I had a left rear blowout on my 75 F-250 single cab with the camper on...It sucked but never did I feel like it was gonna roll...I was doing about 65-70 when it let go...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I watched the videos, and I think you can just get the tires that can handle the weight all the way around and solve the whole thing. Two different tires is so stupid to start with. I tow with mine and have and extra 1350 lbs tongue weight and I don't loose the left rear. I go off roading just like I am in a jeep with no issues except dragging the tail through the dirt in the valleys.

My 2 cents.

·
Joined cracked block club
289 Posts
I know a guy the blew a steer tire on his motorhome while passing a car on the highway @ 70mph, he didn't wreck. But then again he moves houses for a living. I think most people that wreck when they blow a tire cause the wreck themselves with there reaction to the tire blow-out.

·
Registered
821 Posts
If they were really that unsafe, the government would of put a ban on the vans. And you need a CDL to drive one of those 15 passenger vans, not the average soccer mom
no cdl needed. we had a 15 pass for our family of 5 for some years. ton of space for us on trips. :evil

1 - 20 of 30 Posts