Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. ive got a question about turbos. i just bought a 2001 f-350 with an afe stage 1 intake, php chip, 4 inch straight pipe to 5 inch miter cut stacks. i am experiencing some surge when i hammer on it a little bit. i was looking at buying the ATS ported housing because its an almost guranteed fix. a friend of mine told me that the van turbo is a great drop in replacement that will provide better performance, cure surge and lower egts....plus you can find one for a couple hundred bucks more than just the housing. is this true? thanks for the help!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Van turbo would be a good upgrade. Just get a van turbo adapter and a wicked wheel and you will have no more surge.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
hey guys. ive got a question about turbos. i just bought a 2001 f-350 with an afe stage 1 intake, php chip, 4 inch straight pipe to 5 inch miter cut stacks. i am experiencing some surge when i hammer on it a little bit. i was looking at buying the ATS ported housing because its an almost guranteed fix. a friend of mine told me that the van turbo is a great drop in replacement that will provide better performance, cure surge and lower egts....plus you can find one for a couple hundred bucks more than just the housing. is this true? thanks for the help!
Van turbo is a drop in replacement you just need to get the adapter for the exhaust housing.. i dont know if in the long run if its cheaper than the ats housing but it is a good option to cure surge issues. I think all said and done after i had mine done ive got about 400$ in it after selling my stock turbo.. only difference in the van turbo and a stock turbo is the exhaust housing size. stock is .84ar and van turbo is 1.15ar and non wastegated.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i dont know if in the long run if its cheaper than the ats housing but it is a good option to cure surge issues.
do they not last as long or something? i mean the ATS housing is a $430 part that shouldnt need "maintenence". im not looking to build this truck or anything. i just want a reliable, daily driver, and towing truck.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
do they not last as long or something? i mean the ATS housing is a $430 part that shouldnt need "maintenence". im not looking to build this truck or anything. i just want a reliable, daily driver, and towing truck.
Yeh should last as long as any other turbo. Ive not had a problem yet out of mine and ive put around 15k on it. I rebuilt mine myself and installed the WW and non ebpv pedistal.. Should hold up just fine....

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
ok cool. spools up just as fast as stock? thanks for the responses. if i can buy one for a decent price i probably will.
No it spools up slower than the stock turbo due to the larger exhaust housing. Its pretty laggy on the low end, mine spools up i think around 1600rpm or so.. but once it spools egt's barely go up compared to the stock superduty turbo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts