Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrite have another question for you guys, hope to get some feedback.. Still have my stock turbo in my 01 powerstrok. My next upgrades were going to be a turbomaster wastegate, WW and compressor housing. However after reading some forums i was thinkng about the van turbo w/ the WW.. Which route would u gus go? I'm looking for something to sing and wondered if putting a van turbo would affect the dp tuner i already have installed???

·
War Pig
618 Posts
When I talked to Jody about mine I beleive he said he doesn't change anything for the van turbo. I know when I had my chip reburned for my injectors I also had him tune for the Van turbo, that was 4-5 months ago and I still haven't put in the van turbo....everythings still runs good.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
anybody else have any input on this and what the benefits of a van turbo are?? looking for a direction to go in and was hoping i could get some of yalls input... thanks

·
Freedom is not free
888 Posts
I have had the the van turbo on for about 3 years (70K miles or so.) with the WW. The van turbo has a 1.15 Exhaust housing, larger than the stock .84 housing - EGT's dropped a couple of hundered degrees while towing and our 31' 5th wheel.

·
Freedom is not free
888 Posts
some more info,

Tony Wildman upgrades my programs when I installed the Van Turbo - but it wasn't something that was necessary, I just wanted some fine tuning/ a bit more tweaking.

Some go with the ATS housing, I went with the WW and have not had any surge issues. But those that have had the WW and ATS housing together say the turbo whine can get kinda loud.

Compared to the stocker you should see lower EGT's and lower back pressure which will be good for the PMR's if you have them. She might take a second to light, but when she does - look out.

The Van turbo can handle the higher boost better than the stocker. From what I've learned from Jon, Pocket, Jeremy & Brandon (and others), is that because of the larger turbine housing on the Van turbo, you can actually spool them over 25 psi and they will'll take it unlike the stocker. The bearings on both the stock turbo and the Van turbos have a tolerance of 60-80 psi of thrust load. That load is reached quicker with a smaller turbine housing as found on the stock Super Duty's, due to the higher exhaust backpressure creating a larger imbalance between the turbine and compressor side. With the van turbo, you have less backpressure, and less thrust load at higher boost levels.

I saved this explanation from when Pocket posted it on FTE a while back.....Thanks again Curtis!

Here is a link to a previous thread about the van turbo - It is a gret mod for the $ and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Van turbo big enough for Stg1 singles - Powerstroke Nation

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the input.. seriously looking at the van turbo. but with it being a bigger turbo will i get any turbo lag on the low end when taking off before the turbo gets spooled up?

·
War Pig
618 Posts
it's not really a bigger turbo....same thing as the stocker only with a bigger exhaust housing.

·
War Pig
618 Posts
also what would the difference be between running an EBPV pedistal and a non EBPV pedistal? Obviously deleting the EBPV but I've read of guys plugging something with the EBPV pedistal and recommend going with the non EBPV pedistal. It seems to me (I haven't dug into my turbo yet so bare with me) that you should just be able to swap turbos. Am I wrong? Also I know you need the exhuast adapter to make the swap.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Yes it is the turbo that came on the 7.3 econoline van.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Is it the same turbo on all 7.3 vans? Or is it different say from 94-97 and 98-02?

·
War Pig
618 Posts
good question

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
believe the difference in the pedistal is non ebpv is made for the van turbo or non wastegated turbo. u can use the ebpv pedistal but run the chance of a leak. and really the non ebpv pedistal is not that much and i think if your gonna put a new turbo on you may as well do it rite, just my 2 cents though. and i believe also that it is different turbos on the 94-97 van and the 98-02 van.. so there wont be any turbo lag with the van turbo will just take a little longer to spool up????

·
Freedom is not free
888 Posts
thanks for the input.. seriously looking at the van turbo. but with it being a bigger turbo will i get any turbo lag on the low end when taking off before the turbo gets spooled up?
When the van turbo was first installed I had a bit of lag, nothing significant IMO and would not make me reconsider. When she did catch - she spooled up to 25 fast.... T Wildman did adjust my programming which reduced the lag significantly. Then after adding the 175/146 SS injectors and T Wildman's Single Shot Programs the lag isn't there.

also what would the difference be between running an EBPV pedistal and a non EBPV pedistal? Obviously deleting the EBPV but I've read of guys plugging something with the EBPV pedistal and recommend going with the non EBPV pedistal. It seems to me (I haven't dug into my turbo yet so bare with me) that you should just be able to swap turbos. Am I wrong? Also I know you need the exhuast adapter to make the swap.
You can run either pedestal. If you keep your stock pedestal you need to modify it. Mine is modified and I have not had any problems. But some other folks have developed a leak. If I was to do it again I would probably buy the Non-EBPV Pedestal. Here is a pic of the two so you can see the difference.

Stock Pedestal

Non-EBPV Pedestal

Is it the same turbo on all 7.3 vans? Or is it different say from 94-97 and 98-02?
I do not know the answere to this one.....

·
Freedom is not free
888 Posts

·
War Pig
618 Posts
I'm guessing you need to plug that outer left hole on the EBPV?

·
Registered
209 Posts
So I'm guessing you guys are putting the van turbos on SD trucks with intercoolers as opossed to an OBS non-intercooled? Therefore having cooler air going into the engine with the van turbo? I don't think the vans got an intercooler till the 6.0.
If this is the case, would an OBS get cooler air by installing the van turbo without an intercooler? Why did they do this to the vans?

·
Freedom is not free
888 Posts
I'm guessing you need to plug that outer left hole on the EBPV?
Some have left the stock pedestal as is and they can start leaking where the rod exits the pedestal. Some cut about 1 1/2" off the rod, keep the piston an cap it with a 1/4" pipe plug. You don't want to totally remove the piston & shaft completely because you can potentially starve the turbo of oil. Here is the write-up by Diesel Site....

OEM Non-EBV Pedestal - 1999.5-2003 Ford Powerstroke

IIRC the Non-EBV Pedestal only run about $100. So IMO it's worth it if you have the $. But if you have the time and want too, you can go for it and mod the pedestal.

So I'm guessing you guys are putting the van turbos on SD trucks with intercoolers as opossed to an OBS non-intercooled? Therefore having cooler air going into the engine with the van turbo? I don't think the vans got an intercooler till the 6.0.
If this is the case, would an OBS get cooler air by installing the van turbo without an intercooler? Why did they do this to the vans?
Yep, talking about putting it on the Superduty's. I've read they put the bigger exhaust housing on the van turbo because the van did not have the intercooler and the larger exhaust housing helped lower he EGT's. I went a bit further and after talking with Luke Cline I went with the Van Turbo and the DI Intercooler - since I wanted to drop my EGT's further.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Since the OBS didn't have intercoolers, why didn't they put it on those trucks too if they were putting it on the vans with the same setup? Unless the older 7.3 vans use the OBS turbo?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Since the OBS didn't have intercoolers, why didn't they put it on those trucks too if they were putting it on the vans with the same setup? Unless the older 7.3 vans use the OBS turbo?
They did, sorta. From what I understand, the OBS turbos and the van turbos both use non-ebpv 1.15 a/r exhaust housings and there is a slight difference on the compressor side?

Here is what I have on the van turbo. I recently took mine off only because of a move to higher elevation (5000'). In the lower elevations it is a great way to lower EGT's, cure surge completely, and make power while not stressing the bearings like White Buffalo/Pocket posted earlier...

"I have found that the van turbo is a very nice combination on these trucks. It has a lower drive pressure and only makes 3 or 4 pounds of boost running down the interstate at 75 to 78 MPH. More or less it is floating along until you get into it. Around town you are lucky to see the needle move when you are running along at 45 and lift the throttle.

To clarify another item that has come up about the van turbo. Some people including myself were under the impression that the only difference between a van turbo and a truck turbo was the different A/R ratio on the exhaust housing. With the van having a 1.15 and the truck having a .84. The turbine/exhaust wheels have a different trim also. The van wheel is actually .200 larger at the OD than a truck wheel and the vanes are trimmed differently. The truck turbine will leave almost 1/8 inch gap off of the van exhaust housing.

So you cant just put a van housing on a truck turbo and it perform efficiently. It will physically fit and bolt up but it is not doing its job.

A truck housing will not physically fit on a van turbo as the wheel and housing actually hit and will not go on about the last 1/2 inch.

Hopefully this has answered all the questions one could have about what combination to run. Be it a van turbo or a truck turbo the results should be very similar except for the function of the waste gate bleeding off boost on the truck turbo, while the van turbo does not use a waste gate."

FWIW.

Oh, did I mention my van turbo is for sale and will be put in the classifieds as soon as I get pictures taken of it? :D

1 - 20 of 49 Posts