Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering, for those of you running these, was it a good upgrade?

What actual benefits did you get from switching???

Thanks!
Bob

·
Freedom is not free
888 Posts
Great for the $, less than 1/2 the cost of a new turbo. Dropped EGT's about 100 degrees. A little lag off the line from start but once she lights she would hit 25+ lbs boost quickly with stock injectors. After installing the Stage I split shots and T wildman tunning she'll push 30 lbs with the DIIC intercooler. No surge issues, I installed the WW but if I did it again I would probably put the stock wheel on since some have said it pushes a bit more air..... Works well for towing my 5'er.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Dont waste your time. Just buy a tn bb.

·
Oooo, White Lightning !
2,921 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dont waste your time. Just buy a tn bb.

I am currently running a TN BB... This is for a friend of mine... He has been looking for a stock turbo to rebuild, and I mentioned the van turbo to him......

He could not figure out why a larger non wastegated housing is better. I mentioned lower drive pressures, lower EGTs, but he was concerned with slower spooling and less boost...

Since I have never run the van turbo I was looking for some feedback from those who have run it to what actual benefits it provided them...

Thanks guys
Bob

·
Registered
390 Posts
I had a feeling it wasnt for you. Because who would remove a quality tn bb turbo to install a stock van turbo. Still tell your friend buy the tn bb turbo.

·
Oooo, White Lightning !
2,921 Posts
I had a feeling it wasnt for you. Because who would remove a quality tn bb turbo to install a stock van turbo. Still tell your friend buy the tn bb turbo.
Or tell your friend to wait and get the PDR dropin, on par with the garrett/TN BB and almost half the price.......

Rode in Daves truck today, its a nice turbo......On the dyno it was 4HP under the garrett, and 50* higher EGTS..........Big deal.......

Cleans up his 140 setting almost instantly under heavy accel with a stick......

And pulls like a mofo :D

On a plus side its rebuildable.........Trust me I was very impressed

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
Or tell your friend to wait and get the PDR dropin, on par with the garrett/TN BB and almost half the price.......

Rode in Daves truck today, its a nice turbo......On the dyno it was 4HP under the garrett, and 50* higher EGTS..........Big deal.......

Cleans up his 140 setting almost instantly under heavy accel with a stick......

And pulls like a mofo :D

On a plus side its rebuildable.........Trust me I was very impressed
Links...pics...size of exhaust housing? :poke: :poke:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just installed mine a few days ago, used the ATS housing to go with it. On the 100 HP setting it won't smoke at all cleared that all up. Theres a lil' lag not to bad though will pull 20-25psi easy. I'm satisfied for now will be getting injectors and a DP sometime to match up with it.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is this unit a BB unit or not??? The TN is aprox $1600 right now, so will this be a $800 option??? If so that is an AWESOME price!!!

·
Oooo, White Lightning !
2,921 Posts
Is this unit a BB unit or not??? The TN is aprox $1600 right now, so will this be a $800 option??? If so that is an AWESOME price!!!
Its journal bearing............I cant say the price, cause I dont know the "actual" price........Ive been told a rough cost only.........

Fully rebuildable, and Dave was saying that he can put a few different size comp wheels/exhaust housings

Either or........It rips
This turbo is comparable to a Garrett GT38, like I said on his SD, exact same setup, the PDR turbo made only 4 less HP and had 50* higher egts.......Spooled just as fast, cleans up no problem......For the price, I challenge anyone to come up with a better turbo ! They did their homework

PS: Dave had one on his OBS, made 450 on fuel, and he Drove the PI$$ outa that truck, now he is running a newer on his SD........Rode in his truck today, the thing HAULS

·
Freedom is not free
888 Posts
Just for cost comparison. I got my Van turbo for $250, there is one on ebay right now also - I think the current bid was $125 or so. For the tight budget a Van Turbo is a good deal - I know it doesn't compare to the BB & some of the other turbo's out there but it defintely is right for the $.

dropped EGT's @ 100
less drive pressure
no surge

·
Needs more hours per day
1,781 Posts
For the tight budget a Van Turbo is a good deal - I know it doesn't compare to the BB & some of the other turbo's out there but it defintely is right for the $.

dropped EGT's @ 100
less drive pressure
no surge
This is exactly what I was thinking and going to say. I have approximately $270 in my van turbo, if you don't count the ATS housing, which wasn't necessary but I already had it. Bought the turbo on eBay for $80, the rebuild kit was $100, and the adapter for the exhaust was $90. It's been flawless for, heck it's probably been on there for 20K - 25K now.

Never once has it surged on me and I've monitored drive pressures (via AE, maybe not the perfect way, but better than nothing) and feel they are acceptable. Nearly 1:1 up to about 30 psi, then more of a 1.5:1 ratio.

Spool was never an issue for me, even with stock injectors. Jody knew I was running a van turbo, so his tunes may have some tweaks in them for that. I don't know... I have no idea how the tuning works except a higher number on my chip makes me go faster. ;)

EGT's were very much under the limit with stock injectors. It can't keep up with the B-Codes in anything over the 80 HP setting though.

For the budget, the van turbo works awesome. I'm sure there are better performing turbo's out there, but it depends on what it's all worth to you.

·
Drink til she's cute
4,873 Posts
I've been in a few rigs with the TN turbo...not impressed. The drop in journal bearing is a dog!!!!! No other way to describe it. The BB unit is much better, and I do like the warrenty attached to the product. BUT.......After a certain fellow Jersey rig switched to the Garrett it was a night and day differance. He tried to not like the Garrett for a while and stay with the TN...but it just didn't spool like the Garrett. If anyone wants a TN keep an eye on the for sale section. The van turbo is a great option. Never had spool issues, and had about 100-150* drop in egt's.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I am starting to see a market oppurtunity here. A turbo that is drop in, lowers EGT's, spools like stock, offers up enough air to make 450hp, won't surge and costs under 1,000 dollars, has a warranty, is rebuildable. MMMMM.

·
Oooo, White Lightning !
2,921 Posts
I am starting to see a market oppurtunity here. A turbo that is drop in, lowers EGT's, spools like stock, offers up enough air to make 450hp, won't surge and costs under 1,000 dollars, has a warranty, is rebuildable. MMMMM.
I think PDR just beat ya to it :doh:

·
Needs more hours per day
1,781 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would agree that there is a market out there for this...

I think to when the TN journal bearing came out... the biggest complaints were spool up, and EGTs.....

If it had spooled like stock and kept the EGTs down.... and even supported 400 HP without surge or such.... it probably would have been a hit :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts