Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have both brands available locally, with in a few dollars of each other. Any feedback would be helpful on which brand would be most beneficial. Also what type of oil filter is most used.
thanks for any info

·
Registered
128 Posts
If you can get the shaeffer's locally thats what i would go with. But there isnt anything wrong with the valvoline either.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Absolutely no question I would go with Schaeffers. But Valvoline Extreme is likely a quality product as well. It would be hard to go wrong with either.

In general Schaeffers has a much larger and higher quality additive package than most oils. higher moly, zinc, and phos especially in their diesel formulas.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. Without getting to tech, why is Shaeffer perfered.

·
Lubrication Addict!!
430 Posts
Why is Schaeffers prefered? Just what Tarm Stated above...

In general Schaeffers has a much larger and higher quality additive package than most oils. higher moly, zinc, and phos especially in their diesel formulas.

Also it has brought back... hundreds of super looking UOAs.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
It has a better additive package with some of the highest moly, phoso, zinic, and their proprietary Penetro. On Bobistheoilguy site there have been a couple guys that have run both in 7.3 and 6.0 and the Valvoline Extreme sheared faster and had lower tbn numbers. This is specifically in our HEUI engines. It is still a good syn oil but schaeffers IMO is better. I also like that Schaeffers is far more open about what is in their oils. Call many and you get the "it's a proprietary blend of additives and syn base stocks.:blah:"

BTW there was a 7.3 that went about 800K miles on schaeffers and only failed becasue the guy that bought it at that point thought it would be a good idea to feed it a boat load of NOS:eek::doh: Not that the life can be solely contributed to Schaeffers but it obviously played a factor.

·
Stirn Again
75 Posts
Been runnining the 5-40 for a year now . Just got my uoa back and was told to drain at 8000 miles. This is on an 03 7.3l cc duallyused for towing on the weekends and as a daily driver. it is a great oil. I run all there fluids as in syn in the tranny and their gear oil in the rearend. I run a mobil one oil filter. When i drain it at 8000 i will send another sample in trying for 10,000 mile changes with out a bypass system.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tarm and everyone else thank you for your feedback.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Welcome. :D

·
Registered
536 Posts
Do these answers go either way, 6.0 7.3 ?

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Do you mean is it the same for 6.0 as for 7.3? If so then yes. But as most know the 6.0s HPOP shears oil more aggressively than does the 7.3s so given both used the same all things being equal the 6.0 shoudl have shorter OCI than the 7.3 going by the numbers. Driving habits and uses play a HUGE role in this. Some that are very easy on their 6.0 have shown UOA that show much lower shear. Chip it and run it hard or tow etc and it shears faster. I would said in many of the conflicting reports you see about all kinds of things regarding parts performance etc, driving habits and expected uses are IMO at the root a very large part of the time.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Are you running UOAs? Going 10-12K for OCI I figured you are. Post some of the numbers up as its interesting to see the results of different engines and driving styles etc..

·
Captain Negativity!
3,109 Posts
Are you running UOAs? Going 10-12K for OCI I figured you are. Post some of the numbers up as its interesting to see the results of different engines and driving styles etc..
Nope. I trust the Cummins C on the bottle. I keep hearing about how great of an engine they build. Why should I waste my time with oil analysis?

·
Still learning
577 Posts
Where is a good place to find shaeffer's? I havent seen it locally? Does any of the big chain parts stores sell it?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Go to schaeffers website and look up by zip code it will list out all dealers around you. I had to drive about 30 miles to find someone who had enough of the 9000 in stock.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
If you do not see one close enough give them a call. They have mobile sales reps as well. You can also go thru mail order thru a rep if you order over 300 IIRC shipping is free as well as a nice discount. This is why I do my buying is 5 gal buckets.

Just order up your other fluids ie tranny, axle, grease for the next few changes and you are GTG.

·
Still learning
577 Posts
thanks i'll look them up

1 - 20 of 44 Posts