Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'll try to make it short and simple.

I hate my FTVB.
I want to rebuild it with my own stuff.
I want to be able to run at stock line pressure.
I want frim, crips shifts, not slamming.

What should I add to make the perfect valve body?

I've heard transgo tugger kit with the plate, and .427 line mod.

How should I set it up for my HP level? Let's guess 380-400rwhp

Thans :bow: :rockon:

·
Race car driva.......
150 Posts
send it to me, I'll pull that ftvb crap out and stick some good stuff in it.

Seriously, the vb runs at stock pressure, you have to raise it in the pump or with a chip, the vb (acummulator is the correct term) just affects shift duration and firmness.You could try replacing the line mod with a std .372 valve, pull the inner springs in each of the three bores (Leave the outer)

If its still to rough we will need to take other measures, but this should calm it down some.

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
send it to me, I'll pull that ftvb crap out and stick some good stuff in it.

Seriously, the vb runs at stock pressure, you have to raise it in the pump or with a chip, the vb (acummulator is the correct term) just affects shift duration and firmness.You could try replacing the line mod with a std .372 valve, pull the inner springs in each of the three bores (Leave the outer)

If its still to rough we will need to take other measures, but this should calm it down some.

Thanks John, I'll be in touch

·
Bill
281 Posts
what exactly is it that you dont like about the ftvb? Sounded like if you kept stock programing in the transmission they worked fine. Its just you make me nervous about putting mine in. I just got it in the mail.

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, if you keep stock programming in the transmission, it will jar your teeth.

Line pressure is removed to try and tame the hard shifts, and it's still way too hard.

Plain and simple, it shifts too hard, and it's inconsistent.

·
Bill
281 Posts
what made you go with the John wood vb?
and by inconsistent, what do you mean? would it shift at different times or stick or what?
and how much did the new triple tc help out? I want one Just not willing to put it in yet. I cant afford a shop to be working on my truck for the cool add ons yet. The air force dont pay enough.

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont have the updated FTVB, supposedly they don't shift as hard as the one I have cause people were complaining, but they still shift too hard I hear.

Incosistent is just that, it doesn't shift the same, same road, same speed, same throttle input. Sometimes it shifts good, sometimes it slams, sometimes seems like it shifts too early.

Triple disk locks up a lot harder than the old one. Confident it's the main reason my trans is still together.

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
My stock 4r100 has parts from trans go in the pump and, some parts from sonnax in the Vb all so it would make nice with the PI converter. I beat on this thing alot but I do not make a crap load of power right now.I put in stage 1's and a 100 hp reflash from Jody and the damn stock e4od(200k miles) died a day later.(With help from my foot LOL) Oh well truck is fun to beat up on rice with .

·
Bill
281 Posts
I just installed a new ftvb and it works great with just the super chips programer on it (soon to be replaced by a dp tuner). Seems to be consistent. the only thing that makes me nervous is the fact that it holds 2nd gear to the redline before shifting at wot. sure will wake you up. But I dont do that to offten LOL. that is realy the worst shift Ive noticed so far. Pulling a 27 ft enclosed trailer it did pretty good. I realy liked how it performed. But I may just not know any better because I have not tried or rode in another truck with something else.

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey if it works for you that's great. I would probably be happier with the updated version myself.

Just make sure Jody knows it when you get a dp-tuner. (which I highly reccomend BTW :ford: )

·
Bill
281 Posts
Yep sure did. I filled out the survey and sent it off today. as well as a good wish list that I purchased from ITP. should be a fun weekend when that package gets here. Now its time to feal like a littel kid waiting for christmas.

·
Taters #2 Fan
825 Posts
I love getting back from deployment for that very reason. I feel like a kid and a candy store. I get to spend all my time off working on my truck. Just waiting for the PI converter to get here and jon to get the rest of the parts together.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have found that most shifting problems after valvebody install are from
tuning.The problem is when you don't understand how a trans works,the tuner gets miss lead!Jody and I have had long talks about this problem.my
valvebodys are built on light side of shift firmness.You must add some line pressure
though tuning to help the converter! I have found that when a driver thinks
the trans is shifting hard in fact it is slipping through the gear and hitting hard
at the end. Only a good trans person can tell the difference.This will smoke the trans!Leave the trans work to someone who knows or you will learn a costly
mistake.

Transman

·
Registered
860 Posts
Welcome aboard John.!

David Salazar

·
Bill
281 Posts
until I get my dp tuner in the mail I dont want to make any assumptions on whats going on with mine. it seems to me that with just the ftvb and a super chips programer on it when it shifts it is short sweet and to the point. also seems like their is less slip. now when i get on the throttle at slower speeds it seems to lock up quicker. the only way I noticed this is that I hear the tires barking a lot more than they used to. right now I dont know a good trans man hear in az. I just moved hear so I need to meet all new gear heads.

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
Well, ym trans finaly went. Started sliping in to 3rd and 4th once it gets up to temp. I know what you guye are gonna say, but I have one of the new HD remans coming from ford, I'm gonna call Brian and have him send me a Vb for it, swap it out before I put it in if he can get it here fast. I'm thinking this weekend, If not then it has to be the following one. I'm going solo on it so its gonna take a while, Do you guys think theres anything wronge with me doing this?

·
USN-Retired
145 Posts
I dont have the updated FTVB, supposedly they don't shift as hard as the one I have cause people were complaining, but they still shift too hard I hear.

Incosistent is just that, it doesn't shift the same, same road, same speed, same throttle input. Sometimes it shifts good, sometimes it slams, sometimes seems like it shifts too early.

Triple disk locks up a lot harder than the old one. Confident it's the main reason my trans is still together.
I've followed this FTVB "slamming" issue since it was first introduced for diesels and while it's JMO like everyone has that thing that they sit on my take is that Gregg tried to take his success in doing a great job for the F-150 Lightening crowd "go fast for 1/4 mile crowd" and apply it to diesels :badidea:. My theory is that the much lighter F-150 and it's torque curve in realtion to the much heavier and more torqueie(is that really a word :hehe: don't think so) diesels especially non stock ones he really missed the mark. When messing with VBs you need someone like Jon, Brian, or the west coast John to tune/do it or you might be well disappointed and of course the tuner has to be in the loop for everything to work right. Case in point is that I specifically told Brian that I wanted my tranny set up for towing and I could live with any quirks when not towing. Well my BTS is flawless towing with firm and authoritative shifts, but sometimes not towing every once in a while I will get a more significant and harder shift from 1 to 2 or 2 to 3 and just live with it. These quirky shifts usually happen early in the morning on the first drive and I've rightly or wrongly attributed it to the viscosity of the fluid :shrug:

Larry

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've had the FTVB and DP combo for over a year now and been satified with it. Every so often I might get a hard shift in the 1 - 2 but not very often. I do however have a gear searching problem at WOT with OD on in shift 2 - 3. Take OD off and works perfect. I havent asked Jody about it yet because I don't see WOT very often so it don't bother me too much. I also tow 9K FW and haven't had any problems.... But like previous poster said, I don't have experience with differnt VB's either so, others might be better. :confused:

Erik

1 - 20 of 27 Posts