Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Ford E-350 Collins school bus
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'95 E-350 based Collins school bus with the 7.3L.

The guy who serviced it last glued the valve cover gaskets to the valve covers instead of to the cylinder head (no studs in the vans,) necessitating cutting the wires to the injectors and glow plugs, which obviously means replacing the valve cover gaskets. My question is which VCGs are the best for the money? I usually buy my parts through RockAuto but they offer five (5) different gaskets that include the wiring. These brands are:
SKP $28.89
Ultra-Power $32.79
Apex $33.99
GB Remanufacturing $48.79
Standard Motor Products $56.79.

Which one of these would be the best for the money? Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The best for the money is good old RTV black. ;-)

In your list and based on your question as long as the SKP seals it up...why not go that way since it is cheapest? I think quality would be my next tier of concern...are they all made of the same material or is the SKP cork and the Standard Motor Product formed silicone? Cork can be a little finicky when it gets bunched up in a box and sets on a shelf for years, then you need indian head to get it to set.

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
I'd stick with Motorcraft and since the valve cover gaskets are reusable I would not use any adhesive on them.

Reactions: 97F250HDXLT

·
Registered
1995 Ford E-350 Collins school bus
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd stick with Motorcraft and since the valve cover gaskets are reusable I would not use any adhesive on them.
I agree wholeheartedly about not using adhesive, although I can understand why the last guy did as there is no room to use regular studs in the van. I wouldn't have any issue with using Motorcraft parts except that the cheapest I've been able to find are $89.99 each, and there are other manufacturers that use the exact same materials with the same design. I went with the SKP's after doing some other reading.

·
Registered
1996 F250 XLT
29 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly about not using adhesive, although I can understand why the last guy did as there is no room to use regular studs in the van. I wouldn't have any issue with using Motorcraft parts except that the cheapest I've been able to find are $89.99 each, and there are other manufacturers that use the exact same materials with the same design. I went with the SKP's after doing some other reading.
Keep us updated on their quality. It'd be nice to have a thread for something like that.

·
Registered
511 Posts
As much as I prefer Ford/MC parts when they're available, I just couldn't bring myself to pay >3x as much for no warranty on an inferior (original) design. And these still seem to be working perfectly.

(click this text)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts