Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a crew cab 4x4 and found an 06 lariat in good condition with 145k that is hydrolocked.What would I need to look for before purchasing?What would the truck be worth if it only needed gaskets and studs compared to having a bent rod.What would be the cost to repair?I was originally looking for a good clean truck to build but thought this may be a better/cheaper option as most of the work needed to repair this one is what I was originally planning to do anyway.
I had planned doing roughly the following
Apr studs
Oem gaskets
Egr delete
New oil cooler
Bypass filter
4in exhaust
Gauges
Programmer

Depending on money left over and if it will make the truck produce power more reliably 155 injectors and Powermax.Would like to have a 440-470hp truck that will be dependable and still capable of towing 12k when needed,not so much a race truck.I think it would only be possble with new turbo and injectors but if it made it more dependable than a 420 hp tuned truck with stock inj and turbo it may be worth the extra expense.feel free to add anything you feel I may have left out.Thanks for any help.

I have searched this site(and others) for info so far but didn't find the answer to some questions,one being the value of the truck as is.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
i looked at a 6.4 that had a new motor installed caue it hydrolocked.
it bent some push rods, etc, etc.

i woudl be willing to beat it needs a motor

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i looked at a 6.4 that had a new motor installed caue it hydrolocked.
it bent some push rods, etc, etc.

i woudl be willing to beat it needs a motor
That's my biggest concern is being able to find out just how much damage has been done.If I can get it cheap enough it wouldn't matter so much,just need to find some negotiating points.I would love to have a 6.4,but its just not in the budget right now.Thanks

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
That's my biggest concern is being able to find out just how much damage has been done.If I can get it cheap enough it wouldn't matter so much,just need to find some negotiating points.I would love to have a 6.4,but its just not in the budget right now.Thanks
Buy it cheap. The motor could be junk. That is the risk you take buying something like this. If it were me i would buy it. Pull the egr cooler out. Weld a plug in both ends. Reinstall it. And most likely have solved the problems and drive it for a fe weeks. Then once I am confident in the rest of the motor sell it for $5000 more then I paid for it. But since it is your follow the same step, just change selling it for profit to sticking money into headstuds and so forth.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How cheap would be cheap enough right now?I was thinking 7-7.5,but it is a couple thousand higher right now.I continue to see the same trucks for sale here locally,so it seems the market is soft right now especially with fuel prices so high.Thanks

·
Hood Rich
2,873 Posts
its probably just the cooler blown... turn the engine over by hand in reverse 8 times... this should create valve overlap twice, therefore pushing coolant out the exhaust, than turn it over by hand forward til you think its good to go...

if its fuel that locked it, cylinder is most likely melted down

1 - 8 of 8 Posts