Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This seems to be a common problem on here. I've got puddles of oil in my valley and so much grit and grime from this that it's difficult to say where it's coming from. My truck is pretty beat and I'd like to just get everything done on it that may come up in the next 100k miles. It looks like it has been leaking for a long time.

The leak is definitely is not the "non-serviceable" plug that seems to be the most common/easy to fix (unfortunately for me)

My plan is to tear down the top (turbo, HPOP, valve covers, etc.) and just replace everything that could leak or need maintained... and maybe throw in a GTP38R while I am in there depending what my turbo looks like.

Does an all-inclusive seal kit to replace everything on top of the motor exist? Or do I need to piecemeal it? I might as well do valve cover gaskets and glow plugs while in there. Should I be looking at injectors too? Any other suggestions?

The odometer on my truck stopped at 180k. No idea how many more miles are on it than that but it's fairly beat. Previous owner guessed 200-220k and seemed like an honest guy.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
DieselOrings.com has what you need
I would ask him if he has a kit for everything on the top of a 7.3 and front and back of the heads
You may consider re sealing your oil cooler at the same time

It would be nice if there was a "kit" for the HPOP, Oil rail, fuel bowl, fuel lines, fuel rail and all the sensors and lines on top of the engine
I wish I would have just ordered everything at once like you are considering because now I have gone back and am re doing everything on my 7.3 also...one O ring at a time LOL there are alot of O rings and seals on a 7.3

·
Registered
9 Posts
This seems to be a common problem on here. I've got puddles of oil in my valley and so much grit and grime from this that it's difficult to say where it's coming from. My truck is pretty beat and I'd like to just get everything done on it that may come up in the next 100k miles. It looks like it has been leaking for a long time.

The leak is definitely is not the "non-serviceable" plug that seems to be the most common/easy to fix (unfortunately for me)

My plan is to tear down the top (turbo, HPOP, valve covers, etc.) and just replace everything that could leak or need maintained... and maybe throw in a GTP38R while I am in there depending what my turbo looks like.

Does an all-inclusive seal kit to replace everything on top of the motor exist? Or do I need to piecemeal it? I might as well do valve cover gaskets and glow plugs while in there. Should I be looking at injectors too? Any other suggestions?

The odometer on my truck stopped at 180k. No idea how many more miles are on it than that but it's fairly beat. Previous owner guessed 200-220k and seemed like an honest guy.
Get in there and clean the valley out real good to see everything clearly. You will have to piece every thing together parts-wise. When I rebuilt my turbo, the pedestal o-rings (where it mounts onto the engine) were leaking. I believe there are 4, 2 on the block and 2 on the top of the pedestal. I'm told these are fairly common places for a leak to occur.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Get in there and clean the valley out real good to see everything clearly. You will have to piece every thing together parts-wise. When I rebuilt my turbo, the pedestal o-rings (where it mounts onto the engine) were leaking. I believe there are 4, 2 on the block and 2 on the top of the pedestal. I'm told these are fairly common places for a leak to occur.
This is the best route to take. Get some engine degreaser and a roll of shop towels, then get to work. Once it is all clean and dry, run it for a bit and track down the oil leak.

Turbo pedestal is one of the most common places to leak. Either one of the (4) o-rings or the EBPV.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it okay to go blasting around in there with a pressure washer? I usually do engines but don't get too crazy on sticking the nozzle down into the nooks and crannies... can I get down in it with 3000 PSI? It would clean it out real fast...

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
At your own risk. I've done it.
But I also hose down whole engines without worry.
Typically I'll just use a garden hose with a nozzle.
First I hose down the engine with degreaser. Purple power, dawn, and members mark commercial degreaser from sams club. I like the last one because it's the concentrate.
Simple green would work and is "environmentally safe."
I used to use a spray bottle, now I reused a powered bug sprayer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Professional American, guarding our constitution.
9,453 Posts
I've done it too but now I just go straight for the pedestal by eyeball because 9 times out of 10 it's gonna be your EBPV actuator.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've done it too but now I just go straight for the pedestal by eyeball because 9 times out of 10 it's gonna be your EBPV actuator.

Dealing with a leaking EBPV myself, got a deleted pedestal just need to swap it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Is it okay to go blasting around in there with a pressure washer? I usually do engines but don't get too crazy on sticking the nozzle down into the nooks and crannies... can I get down in it with 3000 PSI? It would clean it out real fast...
Some feel comfortable pressure washing, but do it at your own risk. If you do decide to do that, make sure not to get close to the electrical stuff. There is quite a bit going on down in the valley.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I recently did the exact upgrade on my bosses 2002 f-250 and went with the GTP38R. I have to admit its become a bit of a headache though. The turbo was leaking replaced all 4 o-rings put the GTP38R turbo in and at first wasnt getting much boost at all..adjusted the rod in the back of the turbo and that made a huge difference however. 1) Still have a oil leak in the valley so i replaced o-rings on the HPOP and so far so good but my main concern is the turbo seems to be to much. If I get on it and get the boost up past 20 psi is not able to suck enough air in and has set off the "air filter" push button reset sensor off everytime. Do you have any advice? He also has a performance tune on the truck as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts