Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to have a vacuum pump issue. I just dropped this low mile '95 PSD in my '96 truck and it runs like a top. There were no troubles for a couple of days. After that, I developed a squeak/squeal in the front corner of the drivers side block....it was either the vac pump or power steering...couldn't be certain. It didn't sound too bad and always went away when it warmed up. After a week or two of this the squeal got progressively worse and wouldn't go away. I just waited until whatever it was went bye-bye. It was the vac pump. It grenaded in grand fashion. Blew the back half of the pump off. Problem found! Of course the timing was pretty bad...right in rush hour traffic. Not the best place to lose braking power, esp with a load on board.:doh:

I replaced it with another one I had in the shop with about 55k on it and all was well for a couple of days. Now, the same squeal has returned. The vac pump seems to be operating as it should as the brakes and ac are still doing fine... yet that squeal is back. It was gone for a couple of days...so I know I am not going crazy. Is there something that could be taking my vac pump out? Something I have missed? Or is it just a bit of dumb luck? I hate to have to replace it again since I now need to replace my glow plug relay methinks. Too much going wrong at the same time. :doh:

Any thoughts?

·
Can a 1 ton do a wheelie?
261 Posts
I had a similar problem with my truck, had my brother take a look at it cuz it was 230 in the morning, and one look he said gete a new belt tensioner. The new tensioner is about 2-3 inches longer and was told that the new belt are longer so the belt is going to slip like crazy. Swapped in new tensioner never heard it squeak again. maybe something to try iirc its about $20-$30

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This sound is coming from behind the belt area...don't think its the belt at all. It has a more metallic sound than a belt would make. I think I'll just run it until something happens like the last time.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Back in my atv days, a good buddy was always building banshee's for sand drags, If one made an odd noise, he'd just run it's balls of
"make it show itself" was the motto.
Although I'm sure he wasted a lot of money like that LOL

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
I wonder if the 2nd pump had just sat to long and the bearings dried up. btw I wouldn't wait unless you like walking

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dry bearings sounds very plausible. Are they serviceable?

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
No they are not serviceable. Go get a new pump and put it on before you kill someone.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No one will die...it will be handled well before that. :rolleyes:

·
R.I.P
256 Posts
Ive had the same problem several times, so I'm now on the 4th or 5th pump but the last two times the pulley was cocked just enough to the side to do the damage but while its on the truck running you couldn't tell

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting....why was it cocked over? From shaft slop....wear and tear or bad install?

·
R.I.P
256 Posts
i have no clue. I drove about an hour to pick someone up and an hour back no real concerning noise. Then doin 60 I went to hit the brakes for a light and nothing, look down and just watch the temp gauge peg(3 min from home belt shredded) so I limped home pulled the pump and it spun freely no grind or resistance, it looked like the shaft just bent but didn't have time to tear it down since it was 4:50 and shop closed at 5. But I have problems with vp's they always implode doing 60+ but this 1 was a first i had ever seen

·
Registered
472 Posts
I went through three A1 Cardone reman's on my OBS, all crapped out within 10 months, and honked like a duck was stuck in the fan clutch. Went with a Dorman new unit this time and no honking, hopefully it will last!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great.:( That was the one I was going to get...the Cardone. :rolleyes: Looks like I'll have to wait a bit and get the high dollar one...or the Ford one. I have been working in the shop like a madman of late, so no real driving at all. Made a short hop today for some materials and I didn't hear anything out of the ordinary with the pump.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts