Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 7.3L with 130,000 miles on it. It's been starting really hard and running like it is missing. It used to clear up and drive normal after about 15-20 seconds but now it won't clear up and it has no power. Can only drive about 5 mph. I read somewhere that you can carefully feal the exhaust manifolds and if one is alot cooler than it's that sides uvch. My driver side manifold is alot cooler. Could this be the problem.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I would think if you believe one side is not firing, if you unplug that side, there will be no change in the engine tone. If you unplug the other, I imagine it will not run at all. Do you have access to a scan tool or auto enginuity? If so, I imagine you could run a buzz test to see if there is electrical connectivity. Is there an SES light?

·
Ford With Out Tax Money
334 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so I went out this morning and the truck wouldn't start. I plugged in the block heater for a while and the truck started up rough but then cleared up after about 15 seconds. I took the truck for a drive and every thing seemed fine and all the power was there. I took it back and shut it off and then started it and it seems like it is missing but won't clear up this time. Is this possibly the uvch or something else. Also when it clears up the ebpv will activate although it is 80. I don't know if that is related or not.

·
All done now
22,483 Posts
Take the valve cover off and check your UVCH harness. Unplug your EBPV.

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
My guess, Short in the UVCH connector. Mine did this and lef t me walking. Its starting hard because it wasn't lighting the GP's. As the connector gets warm it makes the truck run like dog doo. 2 new UVCH's w/ new plugs will run you about $110 through advanced auto.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is there a writeup on removing the valve covers. Anything I need to know beforehand. Thanks for all the help.

·
All done now
22,483 Posts
Unbolt everthing until you can touch the valve cover all the way around it. Remove the bolts holding the valve covers on. A stubby ratchet, a 3" wobble extension, and a set of wobble sockets make this part much easier.

Remove valve cover. Unplug harness from valve cover (inside and outside), wipe down gasket (they are reusable). Remove uvch. Reverse to reinstall.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Sometimes it's the clips not holding the plug. Clips from Ford are about $20. I learned this the hard way. I took it to the dealer. Clips were $20 and the bill was almost $400 for labor, coffee, and wiping down tools, etc. That won't happen again.

·
Headwind Magnet
626 Posts
Unbolt everthing until you can touch the valve cover all the way around it. Remove the bolts holding the valve covers on. A stubby ratchet, a 3" wobble extension, and a set of wobble sockets make this part much easier.

Remove valve cover. Unplug harness from valve cover (inside and outside), wipe down gasket (they are reusable). Remove uvch. Reverse to reinstall.
:whs:

Don't disconnect the heater hoses for the passenger side; just tie them out of the way. The passenger side takes some patience to get it out once you unbolt it...Just keep gently wiggling it around and you'll get it. If I can do it, you can.
Best,
Jim

·
All done now
22,483 Posts
Yeah, you gotta kinda unfold in outta there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts