Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did an oil change about 1k miles ago. Truck yesterday was running like crap and kept cutting off. I finally limped it home and checked the oul and it was 2 qaurts low. I put 2 quarts in and its running good again. What would make it use 2 quarts of oil so fast? It does not leak, as I have parked it on concrete for a few days in a row without any big spots.

When I did my oil change, I put in 13 quarts total. That put the level right on the top line of the crosshatch area. I have read some people putting in 14-15 quarts. Even though its showing full perhaps I should add another quart anyway? Either way its using oil quick so I need to get that figured out. I used Rotella 15w40.

·
SJD
207 Posts
does it smoke more than usual?
if you add that extra quart and it stays above the full line you can always drain it back out. i put right around 4 gallons of oil in mine and it stays just under the full line on the dip stick.
orings could be bad on the injectors.. could have bad rings/gaskets on the turbo... could be mixing oil in the coolant...

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Usually its injector o-rings. Keep tabs on your oil usage (I went through 8 quarts in 150 miles when mine failed). 14 quarts for an oil change. Cheers!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My truck does not smoke any out of the tail pipe, even on the extreme tune. Yeah perhaps some seals are bad. Im considering doing the 1.0 housing soon with a turbo back exhaust, so perhaps then I will go ahead and do the turbo seals. Anyone know of a good price turbo rebuild kit?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I cant remember if our trucks have the internal oil cooler in the radiator. My bro-in-law was having an issue like this and I found out that the internal oil cooler had a crack in it. It would oil leak under pressure into the radiator, but the coolant could not seep into the oil. Pulled the dipstick and it looked fine, but pop the radiator cap and it was easy to discover the mess inside.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I will check the coolant today. How hard is the injector o-ring install?

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
There is not an engine oil cooler in the radiator, but these trucks do have an oil-to-coolant tube and shell type oil cooler on the driver;s side of the engine (tube-shaped item in front of the ol filter). If those o-rings have failed you can get oil in the coolant. For a turbo rebuild kit, check out Ron's Turbo Service. Injector o-ring install is not that bad. Just make sure to read up on it before you start so you have a good idea on what to do (especially getting the fuel and oil out that drained into the cylinders when the injectors were removed ... don't want to hydrolock the engine which can do some majr damage). Cheers!

·
SJD
207 Posts
i just rebuilt my oil cooler not too long ago. hardest part was gettin it apart to put in the new rings. a little time consuming but the job itself isn't hard.
the whole kit with rings and gaskets was about $70 bucks thru Ford.
since turbo's came up, has anyone ever tried that Bank's quick spool housing?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
also pull your fuel filter and check for oil. if no one said that already.

·
Famous words "Watch This"
301 Posts
Oil cooler is just a messy job. If you do it drain coolant & oil then remove it.
Clean it very good inspect for cracks if you have leaks.
Install new orings lubed with oil & align the end caps.
Use a ratchet strap to press caps back on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
BC2D51EA-5270-4899-A816-24EE9BC50B73.jpeg
im having trouble with my 04 7.3 using oil and by what I’m reading it looks like injectors this is my fuel filter and was wondering if this is black enough but the fuel in the bowl is clean I’m in Australia and I would be using about 10L in about 5000 Klm thats about half way on a service

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Could be injector o-rings, but you might want to post this in the correct forum for your particular truck. How many miles (kilo's) on this truck? Cheers!

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Is the fuel in the bowl close to the same color as what you get out of the pump? Ours here in the US is a light green color.

But I also agree with Patrick, perhaps injector O rings

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is the fuel in the bowl close to the same color as what you get out of the pump? Ours here in the US is a light green color.

But I also agree with Patrick, perhaps injector O rings

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
Fuel looks to be the same colour ours has a yellow look

1 - 16 of 16 Posts