Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. New to this forum and I'm a pretty big newbie relating to anything to do with cars. Hope you all can help. I work for a company that will be doing construction work on a small island in the Pacific. We are shipping 2 John Deere ATV XUV 855D 2016's out to the island. The only fuel available will be JP-5.

I am trying to figure out what additive and in what ratio should be added to the JP-5. So far, my research is suggesting using a standard 2-stroke engine oil. But at what ratio widely varies. Anyone familiar with this application?

Also, can I use an outboard 2-stroke oil (I only ask because it comes in gallon quantities and I need a large quantity - enough to last a year).

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Really, you should be calling JD and asking to speak to one of their tech reps about this. Realistically, burning JP-5 in place of DF-2 should need no additives. However, that does not mean all of the seals will be compatible. For instance, when we swapped to JP-5 on certain military vehicles, the motorpool needed to change out all seals in the HMMWVs, but didn't have to do a thing on our MRAP. So call JD and see what they say.

·
Professional American, guarding our constitution.
9,453 Posts
The only difference is the JP is more volatile and has a lower flash point . This is because at high altitude the air is much thinner (less oxygen) and well below freezing.

So to answer your question, JP-5 would probably at the worst burn a little hotter. Watch out for the other micro-brew jet fuels tho, Jet B and "wide cut fuels" have quite a bit of gasoline in them and I don't think our motors would take too fondly to that

1 - 3 of 3 Posts