Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know that you can use a two stroke oil for a lubricant in your fuel... would it be the same if with used oil from your oil change's? since most oil in our diesels are a 15w40 and usually only sheer down to a 30w.. i know for a fact that back in the day they used a straight 30w for the two stroke oil mixtures..

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone? any thoughts?

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
I would never put used dirty motor oil in my fuel system. Also I was told when you do use 2 cycle oil use the marine grade cause is cleaner and dont gum up injectors.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah that is what i was wondering,, read online somewhere that some fleets where takeing there used oil and running it through there fuel tanks.... didn't figure that all the #### thats in the oil after runnin through our motors was a thing to do...

·
CSAR Bish
229 Posts
What about running it through a 3-5 micron filter and mixing it with the diesel

·
<-- it's like that
6,567 Posts
What about running it through a 3-5 micron filter and mixing it with the diesel
Filtering doesn't address the fact that excessive carbon will build up around the injector nozzles when running motor oil as fuel.

It also doesn't completely filter out everything. Running used motor oil as fuel for an extended amount of time with traces of aluminum, iron, copper, lead, nickel, magnesium, silicon, calcium, zinc, etc still suspended in the oil will take out the injectors.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
even with it mixed like you would with the two stroke mix at a quart of oil per tank of fuel... and with most of those would it also get filterd again through the fuel filter... ive changed a few fuel filters not jut my own and noticed small particles in the bottom of the filter bowl.. would it not be any more harmfull as the sediments we pick up from all the fuel tanks across the country..

·
Registered
531 Posts
I know for a FACT that well filtered WMO causes no problems with injectors at a 50/50 mix with diesel. I had Casserly remove the injectors on my truck after 35k miles running this mix and he found no problems at all.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
half oil half fuel??? and how well is well filtered?

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
yeah that is what i was wondering,, read online somewhere that some fleets where takeing there used oil and running it through there fuel tanks.... didn't figure that all the #### thats in the oil after runnin through our motors was a thing to do...
I don't know if anyone still uses them but there used to be some automatic systems that did this. You had a new oil reservoir, as well as some other components, and you maintained the oil level in that reservoir. The system automatically removed oil from the crankcase and dumped it into the fuel tanks and replenished the crankcase with new oil. With a system like this you never change your oil.

·
40 lug nuts
3,433 Posts
i know that you can use a two stroke oil for a lubricant in your fuel... would it be the same if with used oil from your oil change's? since most oil in our diesels are a 15w40 and usually only sheer down to a 30w.. i know for a fact that back in the day they used a straight 30w for the two stroke oil mixtures..
No. The two stroke oil used for an additive (if you're buying the right kind) is ashless and will not build up carbon on your injectors like WMO.

·
Registered
531 Posts
half oil half fuel??? and how well is well filtered?
Yes-50% waste motor oil + 50% diesel.

I run the WMO thru a centrifuge before mixing with diesel then thru a 3 mic filter before going into the truck that has a FASS fuel system(3 mic) + the stock filter.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wow

·
Registered
531 Posts
That amount of filtering may be overkill but no problems so far. I know fuel prices were lower in 2009 vs 2008, but with saying that I have saved almost $10,000.00 in fuel cost with my business in 2009 versus 2008 by using a 50/50 mix of WMO and diesel. This is approx. 75,000 miles between 2 trucks.

I have not had any post centrifuge filters to stop up so I can only assume that the centrifuge is doing its job.

·
Science rulz
1,424 Posts
That amount of filtering may be overkill but no problems so far. I know fuel prices were lower in 2009 vs 2008, but with saying that I have saved almost $10,000.00 in fuel cost with my business in 2009 versus 2008 by using a 50/50 mix of WMO and diesel. This is approx. 75,000 miles between 2 trucks.

I have not had any post centrifuge filters to stop up so I can only assume that the centrifuge is doing its job.
You have a centrifuge filter on your truck?

I'm kinda playing with the thought of getting one, not to keep my oil longer, but it will sure keep it clean.

·
Registered
531 Posts
You have a centrifuge filter on your truck?

I'm kinda playing with the thought of getting one, not to keep my oil longer, but it will sure keep it clean.
No, sorry about the wording. Only extra on the one truck is the FASS unit

·
Registered
21 Posts
two observations on mixing oil..

1. I personally know a guy's been running pure WMO for fuel in his 7.3 for the last 5 years without any known damage. He filters it down to 2 microns in a centrifuge, removes the water, and runs it. This is a little past my comfort zone - lotsa thing to consider like mech/elec fuel pumps, op temps, trace metals etc - but I confess......

2. I have been running 50% diesel / 50% hydraulic oil mix for several months now without any noticeable problem.

love to hear other's experiences and any factual reports.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts