Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was on here looken around and found this the other day>(Filtered Used motor oil definitely is a get out of a big fine card.
Got pulled out of the "border patrol" line on the 8 to have my fuel sampled..... Was black. I was asked what the f*&k are you running in this thing?
50/50 ULSD and used motor oil/ trans fluid.
I had 25 gallons of off road diesel and 3 gallons of used oil....
I was crapping myself....) Iv ran off road diesel in my obs before and it never hurt my beast, but stopped when i herd some horror storys about people geting cault running it.
Can you really do this and the truck still run the same and not hurt anything. What would it do to your fuel mileage??? plz b truthfull to. Im trying to save money here and not replace a motor or somthing of that nature!

·
Junior Mint
2,461 Posts
Used motor oil runs just fine in these trucks and it will turn your fuel super black for several tanks. Actually it seems to run a bit better than just ULSD.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you run it and to what ratio if you do?

·
peterbilt'in
1,188 Posts
it's what im going to be doing again...

setting up a filter unit, going to be filtered out to 10micronw/water sep, then 2micron. stored. pumped into truck passing thew another 10/water sep. then another 2. into the fuel tank.... where hopefully soon ill have the itp prepump set up and possibly a 2nd filter set up after the pump if i can figure it out.

most people will run UPTO 50/50 max... older engines (idi's) you can run 100 if you want. lol but with your's... 50/50 max...

·
1,097 Posts
How much WMO you run depends on your tolerance for stink. Diesels are known for that distinctive aldehyde smell, but they will seriously stink if you run over 10% WMO.

Well-filtered WMO won't hurt your engine. These HEUI engines have very little contact between mechanical parts and the fuel. Like an old Fairbanks-Morse, they'll run on anything sorta oily.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
most people will run UPTO 50/50 max... older engines (idi's) you can run 100 if you want. lol but with your's... 50/50 max...
ok and thanks for helping me with my question. Im kinda new at all the lingo on here so what does UPTO stand for? And also were in the world would i find these filters at that your talking about??? where can they be bought at?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How much WMO you run depends on your tolerance for stink. Diesels are known for that distinctive aldehyde smell, but they will seriously stink if you run over 10% WMO.QUOTE]
Thanks for the advice i know im asking alot of questions but i want to know all there is about this topic b4 trying it.(Know what i mean) and what does WMO stand for??? and what kind of stink are you talking about??? the kind that will get you cault??? And how do they test to c what fuel you are running just by the color or somthing different like the smell of your exhaulst???

·
Registered
389 Posts
i like these questions and would like to see the answeres also what about new motor oil so it doesnt have to be filtered as much maybe not worth it for cost but the filter cost could work out maybe not. oppinions?

·
Davey B
930 Posts
WMO-waste motor oil. To test your fuel they usually will dip your tank, if it comes up red (off-road fuel doesnt have highway tax added to the price, so its cheaper but they dye it red) your in for a fine. A gallon of new oil is way more expensive than a gallon of diesel, therefore it doesnt make sense to use that

·
Registered
74 Posts
Theres actually a lot of info on the web about filtering and using waste motor oil. I did a little browsing and found that some use paint filtering strainers from the hardware store to get the big crap out. Heres a picture of a device you can put inside a 55 gallon drum to remove all of the water. Some heat there oil to 180 degrees to get it to filter better.

If a guy mixes oil with tax or untaxed diesel how will they know if you decided to be honest with the government. If its anything but red your ok?

Attachments

·
Davey B
930 Posts
If a guy mixes oil with tax or untaxed diesel how will they know if you decided to be honest with the government. If its anything but red your ok?
If you mix wmo it turns the fuel black, doesnt matter if its ulsd or off-road it all turns black

·
peterbilt'in
1,188 Posts
ok and thanks for helping me with my question. Im kinda new at all the lingo on here so what does UPTO stand for? And also were in the world would i find these filters at that your talking about??? where can they be bought at?

up to.... i missed the space. ha ha

so if you filter down the oil real good, and your truck has a 40 gallon tank, you could put say 19-20 gallons oil, 19-20 gallons diesel which would give u a 50/50 mix and use it in the truck. and as long as ambient air temp does get to low you shouldnt have any issues

·
Junior Mint
2,461 Posts
I use to run as much UMO as I could get my hands on. In fact for a while everytime I was at a friends house I'd fill up my truck w/ their used motor oil stash. I kept gloves and a long funnel in my truck at all times. I easily ran over 50% on several occasions and honestly, it ran about the same.

25% UMO I guarantee you will run better than just ULSD. The problem was I was constantly clogging up my filters I had under the cab so my cost savings were negligible. The other issue is I have a a lot of time and money into my current injectors and I don't want to damage them. UMO isn't the problem. It is the dirt, bugs, and water that end up in UMO that are dangerous.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So what all is needed to filter the burnt oil? what kind of filter

·
Paul
160 Posts
I'm new here but...

I'm running 10% used motor oil in my truck. I mix the oil 50/50 with diesel before filtering. Example 2 gal used oil + 2 gal #2 dielsel. Mix, filter, and add to tank then add 16 gal diesel for a 10% mix ratio.

I got my filter heads and filters from a local farm and ranch supply store. You will find them near the transfer pumps and service tanks. I also just gravity feed through my filters.

As stated before, the oil is not the danger, it's the crap that falls in the drain pan during the oil change and the bugs that land in it, water ect.. Your waste oil filters will last longer if you keep your pans clean, clean the area around your drain plug and engine oil filters to keep from knocking crap into the pan during service and store your oil in sealed containers. Stay away from oil from non trusted sources that may contain antifreeze or other contaminates.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i was just curious if anybody has tryed running used hydraulic oil in there trucks, i work at a small shop doing tractor repair and our used engine and hydraulic oil go into the same barrel which in turn goes to or local tractor salvage yard for there oil furnace but in warm weather they almost turn us away with it cuz they dont have the room for it

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
I think the main intent of this thread by the OP was to find out the validity of the info that can you use UMO as a masking agent to be able to use Off Road diesel that is dyed red without getting caught. The answer is yes you can. Not sure what they use as the die but I guess it would be possible for them to send off a sample to test for that dye but its very doubtful unless they knew for a fact what you were doing.

The real risks for someone doing this for their personal truck :

Filling up

Being Reported

Most filling stations now all have cameras watching pumps for no pay drive away's.

There are usually other people there not to mention the attendant as you must pay for off road at most station by going inside.

Paying with anything other than cash

The one I read about that had been doing it for like 5-7 years said:

He filled up an aux or portable tanks used to fill your ATV or other equipment.
Always paid in cash
Used just enough motor oil to turn it blackish
Didn't brag about to anyone local
Filled his truck's tank up at home in his garage away from prying eyes

Funny thing is after 7 years he had never been checked even though being pulled over a number of times for traffic infractions.

I have been driving diesel trucks and cars as well as some mid sized trucks thru out my driving life so 25 years I have never once been checked or personally known someone that was checked. Now it may also be location as well. But then I also have never used off road diesel in my vehicles.

I know one thing if I was ever going to do something like this the one thing I would never do is pay with anything other than cash. It takes nothing to pull up records from stations that sell ORD and then get a address and vehicle license plate etc. Waite for you to pull out of your property and initiate check. I think the guy I read had the key things knocked out and woudl be the smartest way to do something dumb.

Another thing to consider is the quality of the fuel. Its not like most stations go thru that stuff fast unless it a very heavy farm rural area. The off road stuff is now all ULSD or I think many might be much more motivated to use it.

·
Junior Mint
2,461 Posts
If I just had to do this I would simply run an auxillary fuel tank in the bed of the truck w/ the offroad diesel in it and it would remain locked. I would simply run that to the engine fuel supply and not connect it in any way to the main fuel tank.

The main fuel tank would have a 1/3 of a tank of taxed diesel in it which is what they would dip.

I heard a rumor once that they have some sort of infared (sp?) glasses and they can watch vehicles go by and they can see the red dye out of the tailpipe. Don't know if I believe that however.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hey guys just reading this thread hey does bunring WMO in a 6.0L work the same? I am form Canada and I have farm plates therefore it is not illegal for us to run Dyed fuel so we run it day in and day out. But we do head acorss to the states on a regular basis and we always thought that if we filled up with clear and kept the proof (receipt) we were fine but not the case in montana now if they find 1 PPM of dye you get a dirty fine and have the chance of your truck being impounded so I am curious about running the WMO to turn the fuel black.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts