Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious if anyone else is running used automatic transmission fluid in they're truck, and if so what has been the outcome. I have done tons of research and know everyone's concern with friction modifiers and metal particles and what not but I would like to hear some other input from people that are actually running it as fuel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i havent had my powerstroke long but the guy i bought it off of told me to put atf fluid in the fuel every so often.

·
Stroke it B!tch
964 Posts
I'm in for some info also.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
i don't know many people that run it in powerstrokes. most ive heard people run in a powerstroke is 2 stroke oil for extra lubrication. i know many hardcore duramax guys run straight atf. or atleast they say its straight atf.

·
Been there....... done it
183 Posts
I have been running up to 4:1 used hydraulic oil to fuel in mine and didn't notice a difference in performance or starting effort. The only thing I noticed is the drop in the mosquito population, very smoky, esp while idling not so much going down the road. I thought it might effect the egt's, but I didn't notice anything there either.

·
Been there....... done it
183 Posts
I dont think new atf would be bad, but theres no way I would put "used" anything through my fuel system
I ran the fluid through a filter buggy into my transfer tank. My tank has a 10um filter on it, then through another 20um water separator through the pump and then through a 2um post filter. So far the only draw-back is having to change the filters more often, when the fuel pressure starts to drop off

·
Registered
130 Posts
I run WVO and will mix in atf whenever I get the chance, and filter everything down to 2 microns before I run it. Works as an injector cleaner and a cetane booster. Have heard of guys pouring fresh atf into there fuel filter to prime it.

·
Banned
2,444 Posts
I ran ATF is my fuel for almost a month straight. Didn't notice any difference.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
ATF supposivly cleans the injectors and top of the pistons of carbon build up. I never looked into a cylinder or block of anyone that has ran it though to prove the theory right or wrong.

·
Registered
320 Posts
There was a time when it was said atf cleaned an engine, now i think the belief is it dosent.. Atf is not designed to burn is the said reason.. Back when the sulfer content was being cut in #2, it was said run atf to make up for the lack of lubrication .. This was back in the idi days as some may remember.. I ran atf in my 6.2 religiously.. I torn into that engine with over 300k on it, and found a crap load of carbon build up on the injectors,valves, and to some degree the rings and upper cylinder.. I have torn into same engines with even more miles, and not found near the buildup that mine had... My vote, dont do it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I run my truck at about 75% used ATF and 25% diesel with 6oz of schaffers diesel additive. I filter it through a 10 micron filter and a then a 3 micron filter. I've been doing it for 7k miles. No added smoke or haze at all on my 01.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have never run USED ATF through my fuel system but I was told to add about a cup of new ATF to about 20 gallons of Diesel to aide in the lubrication that lead use to do. Mine is a 97 7.3 turbo.
So is this right or not, does the ATF help in the Lube of the engine or not.

·
Registered
905 Posts
that's a lot of quarts of tranny fluid. like 120 of them! at $5 apiece, that's $600. how would that ever even be close to a good idea, no matter how clean it gets your engine. gee, I wonder if my old ladies envoy will run on grey goose? lmao

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have never run USED ATF through my fuel system but I was told to add about a cup of new ATF to about 20 gallons of Diesel to aide in the lubrication that lead use to do. Mine is a 97 7.3 turbo.
So is this right or not, does the ATF help in the Lube of the engine or not.
not sure if its true but read that using oil (like 2 stroke or ATF) does not help your engine but damage it , something about the oil over time can cause accumulation in the injector by sticking to the hot spots before getting injected

·
Registered
122 Posts
I am curious if anyone else is running used automatic transmission fluid in they're truck, and if so what has been the outcome. I have done tons of research and know everyone's concern with friction modifiers and metal particles and what not but I would like to hear some other input from people that are actually running it as fuel.
Yes you can. Filter it. The hardest part is getting used to pumping used oil in your fuel tank. Once you get a good filter/pump setup, you'll stop being concerned and start smiling when your pumping close to free fuel.
It depends on you and your truck-I wouldn't run used anything in a $40k truck, and wouldn't expect I would need to if I could afford a new truck.
-Some guys will say ATF wasn't mean to burn or isn't a good option as fuel... Yes and no. Not in a new diesel. In an old diesel, filter it, run it.
-You have some good responses from guys who run it, some over 30k miles of it. I've run roughly 12k miles on used (filtered) ATF mostly at 50% to 100% at times in my 7.3. It can get a bit smokey, but it runs great, responds great to mods just like diesel. I do cut it with diesel, esp in cold weather.
-Pay your tax on it. It is really easy and the state will help you. It was 1 page form, and you mail in a sheet every 3 months with how many gallons you use and a check for the amount. It is roughly 30 cents a gallon tax-great insurance against getting a ticket from getting dipped. I'll much rather pay 30 cents a gallon vs $4.00 a gallon for diesel. Some guys don't, I've never been dipped, but I can sleep easy at night knowing if I ever did I would be covered.
Don't be concerned running it in an older diesel imo, they'll run straight veg oil.. Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have run new atf as an injector cleaner, never add more than half quart per fill. Haven't noticed much of a difference.

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
Running ATF is smokey because it's EXTREMELY slow burning and that means carbon deposits big time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 22 Posts